Mower deck Walker Deck compatability ?

Globi

Threads
I have a 1992 MDD GHS Walker mower with a 42 inch deck that has seen better days. It actually just needs a new deck housing (or have one made) because I can't find any replacement for this old model deck. I wonder if a new C42 deck could be fitted to this mower? Would appreciate some info on this....

Threads
Hi globi im not sure im reading or understanding you post correctly but I have 5 walkers ranging from years of 87 up to 2013 4 mc and one mt. All decks are interchangeable on the walker. Now if you are talking carrier frames naturally a 42 deck wont fit a 48 inch carrier frame but you probably already know that. Im reading your post that you are looking to replace just the 42 inch deck and using your old carrier frame you shouldn't have any problems. Have you thought of looking online and looking for a good used deck.

Globi

Threads
Thanks for your reply. I HAVE looked for a second hand deck BUT I am in Tasmania (Australia) and there are very few Walkers in the State, so my options are extremely limited for that.
I will probably build a deck out of stainless steel (like I did for my Greenfield ride-on). I was just wondering about the new design underneath on the C42 deck where they seem to have simplified the extra panels to improve the vacuum (my guess) compared to the old D deck.... our nearest Walker distributor is 135kms away: will go and have look when go there next time and take some measurements. They are still trying to get a price for me for just the deck housing, which seems to be a problem ???

Threads
I see Globi well good luck to you sorry I couldn't help you anymore than that.

Globi

Threads
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated :) I have decided to repair my deck housing: a new bottom rim with some 15mm x 3mm flat bar (old rim is worn/rusted away) and I'll modify the pieces above the blades to what they have done on the new C42 deck. The old bits of deflecting shield have got rust holes in them. The mower had been sitting around for ages and was neglected badly before I bought it (only had 475 hours on it)... I had considered building a new deck housing out of stainless steel (like I did for my Greenfield I had used for 20 years before the Walker) but it's not really necessary at this stage, and I need to get the mower operational again asap...

Threads
sounds like a good plan Globi I have done welding on my decks and put new metal on bottom rim like your talking. It will save you money and be a lot cheaper in the long run and as long as it cuts good and you can keep it going. Let us know how it goes for you good luck.

Globi

Threads
Took me three days to fix and modify the deck, tried it out today: no major hitches, just one blade needed a bit more clearance in one spot on the bottom rim... must check the blade to see if it's bent, as it's only doing it on one side.
There was an unrelated problem when I tried to start it after fitting the deck back on: a noise form the radiator cooling fan (like it was hitting something). Turned out to be a chewed out center of the fan blade (something must have got stuck in the blade when I was cleaning it?). Reversing the blade made it workable again but I think it's not as stable on the shaft as it should be. Was trying to find a replacement blade for that fan but haven't come across one yet, only a complete fan for an outrageous price!!! The fan also goes at full speed constantly now, so will have to track down why it's doing that (maybe a faulty sensor?)... Any suggestions would be appreciated, also do you know of a source of one of those fan blades? Thanks.
I took photos of the repairs, but couldn't work out how to attach them here...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When making a reply or a new post click on button I have circled in red.If it is from a phone then some allow adding pictures but some require you take a picture. So after you find the picture you want choose upload.
walker deck.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Took me three days to fix and modify the deck, tried it out today: no major hitches, just one blade needed a bit more clearance in one spot on the bottom rim... must check the blade to see if it's bent, as it's only doing it on one side.
There was an unrelated problem when I tried to start it after fitting the deck back on: a noise form the radiator cooling fan (like it was hitting something). Turned out to be a chewed out center of the fan blade (something must have got stuck in the blade when I was cleaning it?). Reversing the blade made it workable again but I think it's not as stable on the shaft as it should be. Was trying to find a replacement blade for that fan but haven't come across one yet, only a complete fan for an outrageous price!!! The fan also goes at full speed constantly now, so will have to track down why it's doing that (maybe a faulty sensor?)... Any suggestions would be appreciated, also do you know of a source of one of those fan blades? Thanks.
I took photos of the repairs, but couldn't work out how to attach them here...

IT would be of great help if we knew what engine you are talking about.
Walkers are fairly well bespoke mowers so almost any horizontal shaft engine available in 1992 could have been fitted to your mower.
Walker are a family owned business and very proud of their mowers.
Thus all of the parts books & owners manuals are on their web site.
Where engines have become obsolete they will provide you with details how to use a substitute engine.
They are really nice people to deal with directly.

Without extra details you are relying upon some one who knows ( has owned ) a 26 year old Walker being on this forum which considering their production volumes is quite a long shot.
Good to hear that you got the deck together. AFAIK all Walker decks are or can easily be made backwards compatiable so while $ 3000 might sound a lot for a deck if it lasts another 26 years then that is only a touch over $ 100 year.
Walker do supply bare decks which should be cheaper than a brand new deck complete, although not as cheap as length of flat strip & some oxy to shape it.

Globi

Threads
Thanks BlazNT, for your directions :) The mower in question is a 1997 MDD GHS model (Kubota Diesel) I'll have at go at putting all that into my profile...

Walker Deck (new bits in place) 1.jpgWalker Deck (new bits in place) 2.jpgWalker Deck (new bits in place) 3.jpgWalker Deck (old removed bits) 1.jpgWalker Deck (old removed bits) 2.jpgWalker Mower Deck 1.jpgWalker Mower Deck 2.jpgFixed Deck 3.jpgFixed Deck 1.jpgFixed Deck 2.jpg

Last edited: