Raccoons and Raspberries

LethaGolden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure I consider raccoons a pest, but we know they have been on our property based on their tracks in mud and they enjoyed the first year we grew Sweet Corn. We electric fenced the corn in future years.

We were given a sizeable raspberry bush this spring. Now that the berries are forming, we are considering what needs to be done to protect the berries. We hope to cover it in bird/deer netting, but I cannot imagine this would stop a raccoon. We have Plantskydd to deter herbivores, but I do not think the main ingredient (blood meal) would keep raccoons away. Any ideas? It seems a little extreme to put electric fencing around one plant. Can a raccoon removal service help me get rid of this?

Thank you for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Powdered Coyote Urine does wonders in this part of the country. Spread it around the perimeter, might have to repeat after a rainfall.

buzzzmeister

Threads
A 12 gauge and birdshot would get the point across faster than an electric fence.

I know the woodchucks never need to be told twice. :confused2:

LethaGolden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Powdered Coyote Urine does wonders in this part of the country. Spread it around the perimeter, might have to repeat after a rainfall.
Thanks for the idea. Will surely try this and see

dfbroxy

Threads
For the price of a removal service you could but a humane trap yourself and relocate the raccone far away. Or if your a animal lover (no insult intended) you could buy a bag of deer corn and build a feeder so that it has a better food source and enjoy the wildlife instead of a few berrys. Just secure garbage cans! If none of that suits you then man up and shoot it.

LethaGolden

Forum Newbie
Threads
For the price of a removal service you could but a humane trap yourself and relocate the raccone far away. Or if your a animal lover (no insult intended) you could buy a bag of deer corn and build a feeder so that it has a better food source and enjoy the wildlife instead of a few berrys. Just secure garbage cans! If none of that suits you then man up and shoot it.

Thanks for the advice

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Most wild animals are territorial so trapping & relocating is a very savage way of killing at least one animal as many will fight to death over their range territory.
As we are the intruders into other wildlife's domain, learning to live with them is usually the best option and often the cheapest method in both time & money in the long run.
The farm where my workshop is has lots of wild life on it and visitors are always captivated by the wombat coming in for a drink, the kangaroos & wallabies at dusk feeding.
The workshop has possum & bat boxes around it and near the water tank is a frog pond which also is regularly visited by a lot of birds & snakes.
We constructed lizard ways between the ponds & the gardens and have done a few other things, like a snake pit a long way from the workshop to make nature work for us.
Thus the gardens are virtually self maintaining and we have almost no insect "pest" problem other than flys in summer.

So a camera left on your yard overnight will show you where the racoons are entering and then a feeder placed is a position that they would feel comfortable at, between the entry point & the rasberry plants should work.
I have known people to cut holes in their walls & put in windows so they & their guests can watch the wildlife in their property, thus turning a pest into a feature.