diesel fuel stabilizer by mistake in gas tank

nanp

Forum Newbie
Threads
diesel fuel winterizer/antigel by mistake in gas tank

I have a Ferris zero-turn. I calculated the amount of gas stabilizer each 5.5 gallon tank(2 tanks) would take and by mistake put 2 ounces of DIESEL fuel supplement, winterizer/antigel in each full tank. I do use 100% gas. I immediately realized my mistake but had to run the mower 10 seconds to get it under cover. I have called Ferris, the stabilizer manufacturer, the local farmers co-op, and no one gives me a definitive answer as to IF I should drain the tanks and refill with fresh gas and correct stabilizer and then run the mower for 10 minutes. So, for lack of information, I am thinking of getting a siphon pump and pulling the gas out from the fill point. I would prefer to not do this but will do it just to be sure. Is there any chance that the diesel fuel winterizer/antigel would do no harm or should I just buck up and get on with it?

Nancy

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at the MSDS of the stabilizer and see what's in it.

If it's all hydrocarbon stuff in a 'petroleum distillates' carrier, I would worry about it at all. It's a 350:1 mix, which isn't much.

nanp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will read the label tomorrow, I did notice earlier the container did not say stabilizer but "winterizer/antigel" formula
Update:" Look at the MSDS of the stabilizer and see what's in it."
I do not know what MSDS. I have looked all over the label and cannot find any information about ingredients, carrier, etc.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's probably a non-issue. Most of those diesel additives are a large portion of #1 diesel with little bits of paint thinner (xylene) and lighter fluid(naptha) thrown in.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
It's probably a non-issue. Most of those diesel additives are a large portion of #1 diesel with little bits of paint thinner (xylene) and lighter fluid(naptha) thrown in.

i would think that it is such a small amount of additive it will not matter. i have worked on mowers with diesel fuel in them
and after we clean the fuel system and put new gas in all it does is smokes a lot but that is with a fuel system full of diesel .

nanp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I found a siphon at Rural King for $$3.99, managed to empty one tank completely(not quite sure how as the hose was curled from being in the package), removed 1/2 the gasoline from the second tank and topped off both w/fresh gasoline and the correct stabilizer. I ran for mower for 5 minutes from the tank I completely emptied so I believe all is well.
Thank you to all who responded to my question.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
It was a complete non issue anyway. I've burned off old 50:1 two stroke outboard gas in a riding mower several times before without a problem. Added up to a gallon at a time to 3.5 gallon tank, then finished filling with pure gasoline.