Snapper Wisconsin engine Q

upupandaway

Threads
While my Q isn't a "Snapper" Q, snapper did sell a bunch with them so maybe someone can help. My Snapper has the W1-185 engine. The "problem" i have is that even with the choke applied, i cant get it to start. Spray a little fluid in the air filter and it runs like a champ. I soaked the carb so it is spotless and it cuts and idles fine.
Any ideas?
TIA

Flintmotorsports

Threads
While my Q isn't a "Snapper" Q, snapper did sell a bunch with them so maybe someone can help. My Snapper has the W1-185 engine. The "problem" i have is that even with the choke applied, i cant get it to start. Spray a little fluid in the air filter and it runs like a champ. I soaked the carb so it is spotless and it cuts and idles fine.
Any ideas?
TIA

Did you put new carb gaskets in ? did you try starting it with the air filter out and the cover off?

Flintmotorsports

Threads
i love th challenge of working on these old engines.

upupandaway

Threads
No- i didn't replace any gaskets. I did spray from the carb to the block to see if thre was any leak. None. The only gasket i have on the carb is the bowl which didn't replace yet. (not that it is leaking when it runs)

Pilot jet?? ill look not sure which u r pointing to. Main jet is fine.
Float- i recall it is plastic so there is nothing to adjust. it seats the needle wiht the end of the float slightly down vs the pivot end.

for the choke plate it was only covering 2/3??? of hte opening. I made a new plate to cover 100% when choked. no dice.
I think im going to jimmy in a primer bulb to fix my non priming problem.
THX.

Threads
Up Up this is what Rivet means by pilot jet........ #26 is the pilot 13 and 15 needs to be taken out and cleaned well... After all those parts are out then you can give it a bath in a Ultra sonic cleaner or carb clean .... Either the pilot will have a hole in it or the hole is inside the carb and they might be gummed up.......So some torch tip cleaners will come in handy......

www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-par...bin/engine/w1/w1-185/carburetor-air-cleaner-1

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

upupandaway

Threads
I finally got around to it and fixed my start problem. For those of you familiar, the breathing tube off the carb, i connected that to a Tecumseh snowblower primer with a hole in is so the carb bown can "breathe", yet i prime it to start. Viola!!
I also added some plumbing tape to the mix screw being it is loose and will loose its settings from the vibration while running and now it purrs like a cat high and low speed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I finally got around to it and fixed my start problem. For those of you familiar, the breathing tube off the carb, i connected that to a Tecumseh snowblower primer with a hole in is so the carb bown can "breathe", yet i prime it to start. Viola!!
I also added some plumbing tape to the mix screw being it is loose and will loose its settings from the vibration while running and now it purrs like a cat high and low speed.

So you added a primer bulb to the carb vent line. When you prime it, it sends positive air pressure to the fuel bowl. Sending raw fuel into the main jet up into the carb throat? Which primes the engine with fuel? Is this what I read?

My W1-185V doesn't have a mixture screw. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...obin/engine/w1/w1-185v/air-cleaner-carburetor

slomo

upupandaway

Threads
So you added a primer bulb to the carb vent line. When you prime it, it sends positive air pressure to the fuel bowl. Sending raw fuel into the main jet up into the carb throat? Which primes the engine with fuel? Is this what I read?

My W1-185V doesn't have a mixture screw. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...obin/engine/w1/w1-185v/air-cleaner-carburetor

slomo

Yes, that is what i did. Mine, I confirmed the choke closes but it still isn't strong enough to pull fuel up. I don't know if it is supposed to be a mix screw but there is a brass screw (part33 in the diagram) that i adjust and after fiddling it does affect how mine runs.
The replacement carbs online do not have the breather hose to attach a primer but then again, the choke works properly and it starts fine.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, that is what i did. Mine, I confirmed the choke closes but it still isn't strong enough to pull fuel up. I don't know if it is supposed to be a mix screw but there is a brass screw (part33 in the diagram) that i adjust and after fiddling it does affect how mine runs.
The replacement carbs online do not have the breather hose to attach a primer but then again, the choke works properly and it starts fine.

Part 33 is a slow rpm, pilot jet. Mine was screwed all the way into the carb body. Again this is MY carb setup. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...obin/engine/w1/w1-185v/air-cleaner-carburetor

Don't think you should of loosened that pilot jet up???? It might be an air screw possibly?

Like you said, the ebay Chinese carbs are a little different. You might be able to drill and tap a small hole to install a barb fitting like the OEM carbs have. Then put your super cool primer rig on it?? Sounds like your Chinese choke is working for you though. Thanks for the heads up sir.

slomo

Last edited: