Issues with John Deere LA 125 engine

Keeburn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am havin an issue with my John Deere la 125 engine not wanting to run and cannot figure out why. First started when I was cutting the grass and it just died after about 20 minutes and would not start again, it would start on choke and then turn off after 30 seconds or when I tried to adjust to run. I have replaced the sylonoid, the fuel pump, the fuel filter, the spark plug, and the air filter. After I did all of this I was I able to mow the lawn one time. Then it was time for another cutting and the same issue occurred, worked for 10 minutes then died on me and will only restart on choke for about 30 seconds. I had also cleaned out the fuel lines and the gas tank. If someone could please lend some advise as I am beyond frustrated.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can see why you are frustrated.
You have spent a lot of money replacing items that are not related to your problem with little return.

The solution to every problem is to first work out the cause of the problem then rectify it.

IF the engine will only start & run with the choke on then you have a situation where the air:fuel ratio is way too lean.
Two reasons for this
1) too much air entering after the fuel is mixed in
2) not enough fuel in the mix in the first place.

The first is caused by an air leak between the carb & the inlet so you test for it by starting the engine then saturating the manifold region with WD 40 or similar using a trigger pack, not a spray can.
If you get clouds of white smoke then you have a leak.

The second, not enough fuel can have a lot of causes, from plain bad fuel through to a damaged carb.
As your problem is fairly well immediate, the easiest way to confirm he fuel delivery is to remove the fuel line at the carb , put it into a coffee cup sized jar and crank the engine .
If the system is good it should fill the jar in around a minute .
have a good look at what is in the jar, checking for water &/or dirt.

Now you said you replaced the solenoid
Which one?
Under the carb or on the starter ?
If the former did you check it was working ?
If the latter then the sales persons pension fund thanks you greatly.

If the fuel supply test mentioned earlier is good then you turn your attention to the carb
AS you did not care to tell us what engine you have fitted to your John Deer we can not tell you how to clean your carb.
However you will find comprehensive instructions on cleaning carbs here http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/ in the repairs index.

John Deer produce a very comprehensive repair manual for your mower, including the engine and the cost of it is less than what you have just spent replacing perfectly good parts

Keeburn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, the solenoid replaced is the one under the carb, and the engine is the factory John Deere, Briggs Stratton that it came with. When I first crank it up it starts and will run on run but then after 10 minutes it dies. If I wait a day it will turn on again for like 10 minutes before it dies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK that is different.
You might like to spend another $ 15 for an in line spark tester.
Pull the hood off and go mow.
When the engine starts to go bad check the tester for red flashes.
If it flashes just about all the way to stop then the magneto is good.
If not then disconnect the kill wire from the magneto & try again.
Problem goes away = wiring problem
Still stops flashing when the engine is spinning down = dead magneto.

If you have an old mower you can pinch the fuel tank off, even a push mower will do
Hook it up to the carb so that it is higher than the carb & go mow.
Problem goes away = fuel supply problem
Problem stays = carb problem

Make sure that the battery is fully charged because a low battery voltage will cause the carb solenoid to close.

Threads
OK that is different.
You might like to spend another $ 15 for an in line spark tester.
Pull the hood off and go mow.
When the engine starts to go bad check the tester for red flashes.
If it flashes just about all the way to stop then the magneto is good.
If not then disconnect the kill wire from the magneto & try again.
Problem goes away = wiring problem
Still stops flashing when the engine is spinning down = dead magneto.

If you have an old mower you can pinch the fuel tank off, even a push mower will do
Hook it up to the carb so that it is higher than the carb & go mow.
Problem goes away = fuel supply problem
Problem stays = carb problem

Make sure that the battery is fully charged because a low battery voltage will cause the carb solenoid to close.

Yep that's what I was thinking a coil going bad or the tank is got some trash in it clogging the outlet inside the tank......

Thanks for typing the long explanation for me LOL.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Kee where are you at in Texas South East side around Beaumont Orange area ??????

Flintmotorsports

Threads
i would get a old sty oil can with a nipple on the end and spray fuel in the intake under the air filter and when it starts to die give it some more fuel from the oil can
and see if it stays running if so the carburetor needs to be rebuilt. i put 2 cycle fuel in the oil can to start any equipment.