Husky YTH24V48 Sputters and Stalls When Brake Released

timb69

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husky YTH24V48 Sputters and Stalls When Brake Released
This just started. It starts fine, idles fine, and I can even engage the blades when the brake is pressed. As soon as I release the brake, the engine sputters and dies.

Any ideas?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a fuel system issue, Would help if you posted the engine model,type,code numbers, I suspect you have a Briggs 24HP..?? the info we need is stamped into one of the valve covers (see example)

ENG ID.jpg .......... click to enlarge

Usually the carburetor is dirty, which requires removal & THOROUGH cleaning, possibly a rebuild kit, also it would be of great benefit to THOROUGHLY clean the ENTIRE fuel system, the gas tank, shut-off valve and replace the filter and fuel lines, no sense cleaning the carb then re-introducing dirty fuel into it, we have the info to walk you through it, BUT as I stated, we need to know for sure, what exactly were working with, we await your info, ( pics of carb would be very helpful ) .. :thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seat switch is unplugged?

Threads
Hey Blaze and Boo Boo.... I diagnosed a problem similar to this one about 6 months ago..... Carb or firing on one cylinder only....

Bert hopped in and suggested a faulty brake switch I think.... I think it was the brake or seat switch that was causing the issue.....

Yes I would think the carb like you mentioned as in not getting enough fuel under load.... So it's a toss up between the carb and a switch...........

Plus Tard ...........

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mother told me this a long time ago "If your car does not start do not change the engine, check the battery."

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you engaging the blades at FULL throttle ..?? Will the machine "roll freely" in Neutral .. ?? does it have ELECTRIC PTO ..?? ( blade-engagement ) .......??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF he can apply a big load like engaging the blades without problems then it suggests the brake switch.
A faulty seat switch would not allow the blades to spin.

Threads
IF he can apply a big load like engaging the blades without problems then it suggests the brake switch.
A faulty seat switch would not allow the blades to spin.

That is correct on the loading of the engine,,,, That's why I thought of you correcting me on that diagnosis I made 6 months or so ago..... If it was the same issue.....

When the blades are engaged it puts the load on the engine while the brake is still pressed so that eliminates the fuel and 1 cylinder issue........ So it's gonna be a bad switch or a bad connection at the brake............ Seemingly that's the best guess in theory..... But can a faulty or bad connection at the seat switch not think what the brake switch is thinking ??

All the different N/O and N/Closed switches are a PITA nowadays.........

Plus Tard !~!~!

Threads
In my opinion I think there should be only 1 switch on the mowers... The seat switch... When you get off it kills the whole shebang and if someone is STUPID enough to by pass that then it's on their own accord if they get hurt.......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!