Starving but fuel misting from carb Kohler

leaning_r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have an older Kohler 14 hp.
Engine will start and run but runs rough when I try and speed up it acts like it is starving for fuel.
If I place my palm in front of the carburetor while running I get fuel mist on my hand.
I have checked fuel flow from the pump.
Removed the fuel cap while running.
Replaced the spark plug.
I even changed out the carb with a known working one.

Help, please?

Thanks in advance
Randall

Threads
Well it might be time for a valve lapping....... Now I'm not saying that is your issue but it just might be.......

The intake valve seems like it's not up to par.... If the intake isn't working right then your not getting the vacuum that you need to draw the fuel in and that might be why it's misting.......

Take a sheet of paper and put it against the carb opening.... It should be against the carb on it's own pressure, not with your hands.... If it blows the paper away then there is air leak somewhere between the carb and engine block.... It should suck the paper against the carb opening.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the engine numbers, to me it sounds like it is only running on one cylinder.

SidecarFlip

Threads
The K241 on my gas driven welder has always misted from the carb throat, it's a common occurence with big singles.

leaning_r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have an older Kohler 14 hp.
Engine will start and run but runs rough when I try and speed up it acts like it is starving for fuel.
If I place my palm in front of the carburetor while running I get fuel mist on my hand.
I have checked fuel flow from the pump.
Removed the fuel cap while running.
Replaced the spark plug.
I even changed out the carb with a known working one.

Help, please?

Thanks in advance
Randall

K321AS G0410

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that we know which engine you have it will be easier to help. First I suspect your spec number is 60410. When was the last time you checked the point gap and/or changed the points and condenser? If the points are not pitted, I would start by setting the point gap at .018 and see if that makes a difference. An in-line spark tester would make it easier to see if you have a good consistent spark. If the points are pitted I would replace the points and condenser. Also, the carbs on that engine are adjustable, as is the governor. Have seen many older engines where these are not adjusted properly, causing a rough running engine. This manual may be of some help.

https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...al-K91-K141-K161-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341.pdf

leaning_r

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to thank you for all of your help!
The Case 444 with the Kohler is no longer a priority fro my brother in law.
So I can not give any updates.

BUT again Thank you all!

Randall

Now that we know which engine you have it will be easier to help. First I suspect your spec number is 60410. When was the last time you checked the point gap and/or changed the points and condenser? If the points are not pitted, I would start by setting the point gap at .018 and see if that makes a difference. An in-line spark tester would make it easier to see if you have a good consistent spark. If the points are pitted I would replace the points and condenser. Also, the carbs on that engine are adjustable, as is the governor. Have seen many older engines where these are not adjusted properly, causing a rough running engine. This manual may be of some help.

https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...al-K91-K141-K161-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341.pdf