Does this sound right?

peteclark3

Threads
Hey wonderful fellow lawnmower fans!

We have a Tecumseh LAV30 we rebuilt and just put on a mower (which we also restored). We haven't started the engine yet, because when we pull on it, we're wondering if we're hearing a rod knock or other bad sound.

Here's the video so you can hear it: https://youtu.be/Bhb8LP07GlI

Does anything sound funny to you folks?

(Also, note that we understand this engine isn't the "correct" engine for this mower)

Thanks!
Pete

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not hearing a rod type sound. Could be the metal screen is scraping the engine housing. Was the blade on the engine when you were cranking the engine, and I hope you had oil in the engine before cranking also. I have seen rod bearing and cylinder walls get damaged by dry cranking.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this engine equipped with a blade brake?
The motor does not seem to be turning freely..in a manner consistent with the blade brake being engaged.

Russ2251

Threads
Is this engine equipped with a blade brake?
The motor does not seem to be turning freely..in a manner consistent with the blade brake being engaged.
I strongly 2nd that opinion.
Also, does appear that blade is missing.

Threads
X 3 on the blade brake I do see one on the engine but I don't know if it's away from the flywheel ......

Threads
I remembered something from when I watched the video the first time..... His bare foot caught my eye.. No safety anything on it..... That's his right foot so there is noway for him to hold the bail handle....
Unless someone else is doing it and holding the camera.... It sure looks like that camera is on a tri pod though.... Tooo steady...

peteclark3

Threads
Sorry all! I wasn't getting post notifications...

Answers:

1) Yes the blade was on it
2) I was holding the camera (I wasn't the one starting it, but it wasn't a tripod either).. though I'm not known for my steadiness :confused2:
3) There's no blade brake whatsoever on this
4) You're right about the bare foot... :ashamed:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Of course you are aware that the blade brake actually engages the flywheel not the blade itself.....(if I am not mistaken.....)

Russ2251

Threads
There's no blade brake whatsoever on this
By law it should have had one as original equipment.

There is no bail at top of handle?
Can supply pic of complete mower?