Honda GCV190 Only Runs With Choke On

Threads
I think your fuel line is bad....... The insides of those fuel lines go bad often...........Try and pulling the fuel line off at the shut off valve and see what happens....

It's possible some trash got in your carb again............. When a new carb is put on then fuel lines should be cleaned out plus the cleaning the tank is a plus also ~!~!

djtech2k

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you suggesting that I pull it off on the tank side of the valve or the carb side? Like I said, I pulled it off on the tank side today and gas drained slowly. Then when I pulled the hose off the tank, it came out fast. I wasn't expecting it because I thought it was empty, but it sure wasn't. I didn't have that much gas in it, but any gas running down my arm is too much lol.

When I had the hose off between the tank and valve, I looked through it and I didn't see anything blocking. Its kind of a fat hose, like little smaller than my little finger, so it would be tough to clog it I think. Before I changed the carb, I disconnected the hose from the carb and blew air thru it.

I was almost tempted to maybe order a new filter and maybe test it by removing the current filter and try to see if it shuts off with that removed. I know its a risk of clogging the carb again, but at this point I need to try something or just take it to a repair shop. I called a local and he said it would be $45 + parts. It just sucks to be doing this on a brand new pressure washer/motor.

Ryobi responded to me and said to take it to an authorized service center, which is almost an hour from me.

Threads
Warranty won't cover bad gas.....and you will get charged for their time.....

Do these steps in order....

1.....Put everything back on the fuel system....With the fuel line off of the carb and filter taken out of the system, turn on the the fuel valve, look to see how much flow you have.... If you have good flow you in good shape...

2..... If not, then take the line off of the valve from the carb to the valve..... Then turn on the valve and see how much flow you have............. If you have good flow then the fuel line from the carb to the valve is stopped up or bad on the inside....

3..... If you don't have flow coming out of the fuel valve then the valve is bad or the line from tank to the valve is bad ......

4..... Just blowing thru the lines doesn't mean that lines are good....... I had a brand new hose on my truck Top side from the radiator to the thermo on the water pump and is was flapping on the inside.... Almost burned up my engine .....

If your filter was clogged up that bad then you had some bad gas and trash in the tank....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!~

bobbyyarber01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

I watched the video and checked mine out. Here is what I did:

I pinched the gas line between the tank and the fuel shutoff valve. I disconnected the side by the shutoff valve. I then uncrimped the line to drain all the gas out. It trickled out very slow for a min or so and then it stopped. So I then removed the hose from the tank. The red filter was stuck in the hose. As soon as I did that, gas poured out. I grabbed a container and let it drain from the tank.

I worked the filter out of the hose. I couldn't see anything physically blocking it. I didn't know what to do, so I took my air hose and shot air all thru it.

I put it all back together and same results. Runs good with choke on, but as soon as I turn the choke off, it shuts off. I do not have a replacement filter so I couldn't replace it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I watched the video and checked mine out. Here is what I did:

I pinched the gas line between the tank and the fuel shutoff valve. I disconnected the side by the shutoff valve. I then uncrimped the line to drain all the gas out. It trickled out very slow for a min or so and then it stopped. So I then removed the hose from the tank. The red filter was stuck in the hose. As soon as I did that, gas poured out. I grabbed a container and let it drain from the tank.

I worked the filter out of the hose. I couldn't see anything physically blocking it. I didn't know what to do, so I took my air hose and shot air all thru it.

I put it all back together and same results. Runs good with choke on, but as soon as I turn the choke off, it shuts off. I do not have a replacement filter so I couldn't replace it.

Any suggestions?
save yourself some headache join the club with the rest of us and run it with the choke on! or I watched a video where some one ran fuel injector cleaner thu it and it leveled out

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
save yourself some headache join the club with the rest of us and run it with the choke on! or I watched a video where some one ran fuel injector cleaner thu it and it leveled out
This comes close to the worst suggestion ever given on the forum.
Walk behind Hondas have a replaceable fuel filer fitted into the tank.
For some strange reason Honda call then a joiner
After that some have a fuel tap that can block paricularly if it has been rebuilt with a cheap rebuild kit made from the wrong rubber
And finally the carb is dead easy to clean and Honda have been using basically the same carb for 50 years

seattlepioneer

Threads
Frustrating, isn't it? I'm having similar issues with a Briggs and Stratton fuel system that I'm trying to get working properly.

Sounds like you might be back in business with a new fuel filter, or at least you can compare how freely the fuel flows with a new filter.

I'm getting to be a real Xpert on replacing my B&S carburetor!

Isn't DIY FUN?!

I usually figure that compared with what I could do as a professional furnace repairman, the DIYer took several times as long and had to do repairs several times on average to make things work. That seems to be my batting average with my plugged up fuel system problem!

Sten4413

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same issue. I changed the spark plug and it ran great. This was after I cleaned the carb twice.