Snow blower 412 snowblower

BWH

Threads
Yes I do use chains, problem being is the chains don't clear the frame so I installed a set of wheel spacers. Grasshopper offers them but I was fortunate to have an old retired machinist just looking for a project, he turned a set down for me. Keep in mind you need the extended lugs which I was fortunate that my dealer had ordered the machine with. With 95% of the weight on the drive wheels when you have the blower lifted the thing will go anywhere. (I do not run my rear weight kit when I have the blower on)

1mk2

Threads
Thanks so much for the info. I have the extended lugs but am not sure if I have the spacers or not. They may be already on because it looks like it is away from the frame enough for the chains but I have not put them on yet to see. I have a model 612 mower and when I lift the snowblower and drive forward it can sometimes lift up the back end so I will need some weight on the rear of mine. Thanks a lot for taking the time to tell me about yours, appreciate it.

Mike

jerryshenk

Threads
What a dummy, I never thought of that. Do you use chains or just snow tread tires?

I have pretty much the same setup (without the customized chute). I have chains on the "tractor tread" tires. I think the chains are just about necessary. I'm in Lancaster, PA - snow is often pretty wet and heavy. Maybe with light, fluffy snow the right tread would work. For me, running without chains are pretty much impossible.

1mk2

Threads
Thanks, I think I have everything set and ready to go. I don't know how the person I bought the snowblower used it because it was way out of alignment but I have it adjusted and ready. I think I am going to need some weight for the rear end and have something in mind for it. Do you use weights for the rear?

jerryshenk

Threads
Thanks, I think I have everything set and ready to go. I don't know how the person I bought the snowblower used it because it was way out of alignment but I have it adjusted and ready. I think I am going to need some weight for the rear end and have something in mind for it. Do you use weights for the rear?

I don't use any weights...but, I'm pretty new at this;)

jerryshenk

Threads
I was just talking with a friend about adjusting the skid pads on his snow blower so I checked the manual about the recommendation. I had been running with the "blade" down solid on the pavement. The manual says to adjust the skid pads so that the blade barely skims the pavement with the raise/lower lever the whole way down. Then to actually clear snow, pull that leaver up 1 notch so that the black is about .125 above the pavement.

Since this thread was discussing general operation of the snowblower, I thought this might be useful.

BTW, I'm hoping we get a foot tomorrow evening;)

ErnieN85

Threads
a foot in south Pa, translates to 2 feet here...........gonna be a lot of work!
I have the wheel kit and have it set just a bit off the asphalt.

jerryshenk

Threads
I'd just like to see this thing rip through some snow;) We've had 2-3" at a time since I got it. Some super-heavy slop that clogged up a lot. I just want to feel like I didn't waste my money buying this thing.

I didn't know there was a wheel kit...I don't have that much to clear...think I'm good with it the way it is.

ErnieN85

Threads
I'd just like to see this thing rip through some snow;) We've had 2-3" at a time since I got it. Some super-heavy slop that clogged up a lot. I just want to feel like I didn't waste my money buying this thing.

I didn't know there was a wheel kit...I don't have that much to clear...think I'm good with it the way it is.

I'd be just as happy if mine was just a neat garage ornament.:laughing: