What would cause a starter to do this?

turbofiat124

Threads
15.5 I/C OHV engine, 2005 model. Well that was when the mower was built. Assuming it's the original engine.

I acquired this Murray riding mower.

Every now and then when I start the engine, the starter motor will spin but the bendix won't engage in the flywheel. The reason I believe this is I can hear the starter motor spinning really fast.

I thought perhaps the battery could be weak but usually the engine drags. What I suspect maybe going on is the bendix is not be "slung" upwards into the flywheel at times. My guess would be that the shaft the bendix rides on maybe gummed up. Then again I thought maybe the battery is weak and it's just not spinning fast enough to engage the bendix.

I pulled the engine cover and the bendix looks fine, it's not stripped. I could move the bendix easily with my fingers but I sprayed some Penephite lubricant onto the shaft anyway. Since then I have not had this happen. But have not used the mower that much. I just did some maintenance on the engine and parked it in my storage building around back. it's too soon to tell.

I'm curious if there is anything else that might cause this if it's not the above two conditions.

Also I have a 15 HP Briggs engine from my old Snapper that threw a rod through the block I am hanging onto for some odd reason (parts?). I believe it was made around 2000. Any chance the starter from this engine will fit the 2005 15.5 I/C engine?

Threads
Hey Turbo ................. Ok yes the lubricant you put on there did the trick for you.... Graphite is a go to also..... It's a must though to take the gear off and clean everything well.........

I do think that the starter from the Snapper Briggs will work, Briggs made 2 different starters in that era.... One weak starter for the ACR cam engines and a heavier duty starter.... A quick glance at both will tell you if it will fit....

Both engines are in the same size class..... Yes hold onto that blown motor.... Parts do come in handy.........

Numbers would be great to post so we can look them up for you ............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

turbofiat124

Threads
Hey Turbo ................. Ok yes the lubricant you put on there did the trick for you.... Graphite is a go to also..... It's a must though to take the gear off and clean everything well.........

I do think that the starter from the Snapper Briggs will work, Briggs made 2 different starters in that era.... One weak starter for the ACR cam engines and a heavier duty starter.... A quick glance at both will tell you if it will fit....

Both engines are in the same size class..... Yes hold onto that blown motor.... Parts do come in handy.........

Numbers would be great to post so we can look them up for you ............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

This Kano Penephite spray contains graphite. It's one of my favorite lubes but is messy. I wouldn't use it on stuff like car door hinges.

Just from the way the starter motor spun so quickly, made me think the bendix wasn't engaging the flywheel.

This mower and engine looked as if it had never had any maintenance done to it so it would struggle to start at times. Initially the starter would turn over and engage the bendix but if it didn't start after say 5 to 10 seconds and I tried it again would be when the bendix wouldn't engage.

The oil was black as tar, the air filter was so dirty I couldn't even see light through it. The spark plug was carbon fouled (and loose!).

I think there was crud in the float valve causing the engine to run rich. Before removing the carburetor from the engine, I decided to just remove the float bowel and give it a good cleaning with carburetor cleaner and compressed air. Unless the carburetor is really gummed up, this usually does the trick. I expected the float to be hanging up but it seemed OK.

It seems to run OK now.