Briggs and Stratton 17 hp vanguard Muffler

STAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a B & S 17hp Vanguard on my ride on Mower. The muffler needs to be replaced, but it appears to have a large muffler guard around it or it is the muffler. The Part number from my engine does not look like the muffler the repair shop suggests is the right one.

If they are right I have to remove the guard. hence the problem. The guard is approx. 10 inch X 3 and a half inches. I can't see how it can be removed without some part of the guard being cut away. Naturally, at this stage, I am looking for other options. Can somebody point me in the right direction as the parts list I have does not have a guard on it and the actual muffler is a lot smaller. Maybe, it is inside.

Thanks

Pete

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
from the pictures i saw just from typing 17hp vanguard muffler. it appears to be once piece, do you have your model number of the engine?
That would help so you can look at a diagram to be sure.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The muffler is part of the mower so the one the parts store sold you for the engine might be different to the one that is installed.
To a lesser extent this applies to other things like generators & pumps.
Vanguard have no idea about how the engine will be fitted & the makers add heat shields where necessary.
A few photos would be a great help

STAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all that have replied. here is the information that has been asked.

The Engine is a replacement engine on my Victa ( Murray ) wide body ride on. It is a

B&S Vanguard 17hp
Model 312777Code 02 07317.D
Type 0129E1

According to the Parts List the Parts number is 690850.

I guess my original question was two parts. Firstly, that I was unsure if it was a muffler and guard separately, or they were both one unit. From the replies it appears it is a combined unit.

The second part was how do I remove it from the mower. I have undone all the bolts and it does not pull out. It looks like it is seized up on the Ref Number. 864A Part Number 496750 Which is an adapter - Muffler Used on Type No 's 0129, 0130, 0131, 0134. If it is seized on I can get it off but am reluctant to try until I am sure that is the issue not knowing the set up. from the exploded parts list I think that is the issue, but?.

Another question I have is . Do you have to have that identical muffler on that engine or can you fit a generic one that fits? It's only a matter of cost and if I have to cough up, so be it, but if I have an alternative that would bear looking at.

Once again, thanks for all your help. I find that when I write down a problem then I am are better able to understand what the real issues are.

Pete

ps I have just edited the Model No. it should have had an extra 7 in it. ( Thanks to Bertsmobile . for pointing out the error in my ways. )

Last edited:

STAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pete. Look at this link, all 3 photos and see if this is what you are seeing. You might consider posting some photos of yours too if you have a camera you can upload photos from. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/muffler-p-256274.html

Thanks.

Unfortunately, WHILE THE PART NO. is correct the muffler on my mower is different, hence my dilemma. My local supplier does not carry them in stock and has to be ordered, so I can not get a look at it to see if the part will fit. Even the diagram on the exploded view of my Parts List looks more like what you have shown. Mine looks a lot bigger.

Mine is 10 inches by 3 and 1/2 inches ( that's the muffler I am talking about ) Putting out $129 A is an issue when their is a doubt ?

ps

I just had a relook at your link and the muffler shown while slightly different appears to be close to the size when you have a look at the grid dimensions. If so, maybe a generic is available, but at the price quoted on that diagram converted to Aus dollars it is not much cheaper.

Pete

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The muffler sits on a short stub, called an adapter.
The stub is held onto the head by 2 bolts
Remove them plus the other 1 or 2 bolts that secure the muffler itself to the mower then tap the whole lot which should come off as a complete unit.
The adapter generally rusts solid into the muffler.

The caveat on this is MURRAY may have welded the stub into the muffler or Victa specified that it be welded because the Muffler is part of the mower, not the engine.
So the parts book you should be looking at is the VICTA / MURRAY parts book, not the Briggs one.

Every engine has a generic muffler but only the absolutely cheapest bottom end mowers use the factory muffler.
Murray fitted a substantially bigger muffler to most of their mowers with a long outlet to go past the end of the hood or a curved outlet to vent the exhaust under the mower.
No idea which you have as we would need the ID numbers from the tag under the seat. If you are lucky the original Murray one will be there
If it has been replaced by the Victa one then bad luck because when Briggs took over Victa they point blank refused to provide any service support for pre take over ride ons which is just pig headed moron behaviour as Briggs also own Murray

And it looks like you missed a "7" in your engine number, it should be 6 digits ie;-312777 0129-e1
0207317D is the DOM & serial number
Quoting things correctly goes a long way to making things easy for others who have nothing but words on screen to work with to give you help.

STAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile. Yes I need a back hander. The Model N0. is indeed what you said. 312777. I missed a seven.

This Briggs and Stratton engine is not was on originally. I purchased the mower new and had to put a new engine into it about five years after purchase. But I have all the old original manual for both the Mower and the original mower.

I will have a check of both but I am certain you are ahead of the game here and everything you have written appears to be on track.

THANKS and sorry for the Model No. stuff up,

Pete