Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Question

kamalo

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Question
Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Question

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor that blew its 20hp B&S Intek engine. The blown Intek had two leads coming from the alternator. One DC lead for the charging circuit and one AC lead for the tractor's headlights). The B&S Vanguard engine that I am using for a replacement has one DC lead coming from the alternator that connects to the voltage regulator and the voltage regulator has an output lead for the charging system. There is no separate AC lead. I have the Vanguard wired into the tractor harness and it starts, runs, charges, shuts-off as it should. That said, I am not sure how to direct power to the headlight circuit? Can I use the DC charging circuit as a source? If yes, is there a better/best place to tap into the circuit? If no, what would be an alternative source? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
  • / Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Question
Re: Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Questio

I would come straight off the battery with an inline fuse appropriately sized (maybe 10 amp) connected to the positive post of the battery, then to a switch in the dash, then to the headlights. The other wire should come from a good ground on the frame to the other headlight terminal.

kamalo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Craftsman Mower Engine Swap (B&S Intek replaced with B&S Vanguard) Wiring Questio

John,

Thank you for the input! A great idea and pretty straightforward to do! Thanks again!