Need help for removing sump on Timemaster B&S 8.75

aetarrell

Threads
My motor worked its way loose, and before I noticed it one of the "ears" where the sump bolts to the mower deck had broken off, so now I need to replace the sump. It seems to be a reasonably simple repair, but I'm having trouble getting the sump off. I removed the drive pulley and the seven sump bolts, but it looks like there's still one (or at least one) bolt coming in from the top side holding the sump on there. I can't get a good view of the top of that bolt, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it loose. It is recessed, so I figured it must be a hex head socket, but don't seem to be able to find the hole. Any advice would be most appreciated! (This is a 121S02-0130-F1 engine off a Timemaster 20199 2014 model if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!

Russ2251

Threads
7 bolts should do it.
Can you supply pic of area in question?
There is a pair of locating pins that center sump cover to block that do stick.
Make sure PTO is absolutely clean to the point of being polished (and oiled) so the seal (and bushing) will slide off shaft.
Light tapping with a plastic mallet should release cover.

aetarrell

Threads
Thanks Russ - fast feedback. I just went out to look at it one more time, and decided it must be an aligning pin - gave it one tap and it fell off! Came back in to say "never mind", but you beat me to it! All looks good from here. Anything I should worry about on the governor when I reassemble? That's the only part that looks a little confusing.

Russ2251

Threads
Anything I should worry about on the governor when I reassemble? That's the only part that looks a little confusing.
Take lots of pics if not sure of re-assembly.
The best of us use a camera from time to time.

Threads
Thanks Russ - fast feedback. I just went out to look at it one more time, and decided it must be an aligning pin - gave it one tap and it fell off! Came back in to say "never mind", but you beat me to it! All looks good from here. Anything I should worry about on the governor when I reassemble? That's the only part that looks a little confusing.

Here is a video I made for governors on your type of engine ..........

https://youtu.be/tqQQ618XeiE

aetarrell

Threads
Thanks Boo - I think that does the trick! The governor sort of moved around when I first removed the cover, so it was too late to take good "before" pictures. Your video shows it very clearly though, so I'll give it a shot!

aetarrell

Threads
Re: Should there be play in the blade brake pulley

All -

Spring is coming, so I am finally getting my Timemaster put back together - can't believe it has been all winter.

It's all put together, but not running it since no oil yet. I noticed some squeaking in the blade belt system as I manually turned the blades, and while checking that out I found lots of play in the blade brake pulley. I would say it is pretty significant, like I can move that pulley 1/4" or so.

That does not seem normal to me, but I have not worked much with the Timemasters, so wanted to ask the experts.

Is that normal, or do I have another problem I need to work on quick before the grass takes off?

Thanks!