Sump removal question on B&S 8.75

aetarrell

Threads
My motor worked its way loose, and vibration broke the lower sump. Motor is off the mower, with drive pulley removed and 7 retaining bolts removed. However, it appears there is still one bolt (maybe more?) holding the sump on. This one screws down from the top, so I am not able to see what sort of tool is needed to get it loose. Any help would be most appreciated! (This is off a Toro Timemaster 2014 model in case that makes a difference - 121S02-0130-F1 motor.)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It could be its still being held on by the locating pins, that help you align the the sump and cover, they can get pretty sticky overtime. If you have a rubber mallet or anything that wont crack the block, tap it on the sides of the cover several times.
Here are some diagrams and parts for your engine https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...der-piston-rings-connecting-rod-warning-label
and if you could take a picture or two that would be great. :wink:

Threads
My motor worked its way loose, and vibration broke the lower sump. Motor is off the mower, with drive pulley removed and 7 retaining bolts removed. However, it appears there is still one bolt (maybe more?) holding the sump on. This one screws down from the top, so I am not able to see what sort of tool is needed to get it loose. Any help would be most appreciated! (This is off a Toro Timemaster 2014 model in case that makes a difference - 121S02-0130-F1 motor.)

Those two extra bolts you are think of is the 2 locating pins.... If your sump is already broken then tap on the ears of the sump..... You might have to sand the shaft to easily get the sump off...... When you see a crack between the block and sump then take 2 small pry bars or screwdrivers and pry up gently......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

aetarrell

Threads
Thanks guys - it was definitely the locating pins, and it came right off when I tapped on it. Boo, your video on my other post was perfect for helping me when I start putting it back together, so I'm hopeful I'll be up and mowing again soon - at least by spring!

Threads
Thanks guys - it was definitely the locating pins, and it came right off when I tapped on it. Boo, your video on my other post was perfect for helping me when I start putting it back together, so I'm hopeful I'll be up and mowing again soon - at least by spring!

Thanks for the update........