Snow blade How to keep an X300 running through the winter

MichelleWieFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a John Deere X300 riding mower. I have decided to put a snow blade, weights, and tire chains on it this winter to help me with snow plowing/snow removal at home. My question is: What should I do (or buy) to make sure the mower will start and run when I need it to? I had planned on starting and running it every few days, but thought I'd ask if there are other options available. Thanks in advance for your assistance. have a great day!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Keep a battery maintainer on it and keep it in a building above freezing.

MichelleWieFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a make & model battery tender you would recommend?

Thanks for responding to my question! I appreciate it

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Is there a make & model battery tender you would recommend?

Thanks for responding to my question! I appreciate it

I won't recommend or not recommend, but the one I use is a 1.5 amp battery maintainer/charger from Walmart.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
I buy my battery maintainer at harbor freight. It's 4.99 on sale Works great for me.

Padroo

Threads
I had an old Kohler engine that was very hard to start and put up with it for years. I bought a new starter and I couldn't believe the difference at the cranking speed and how quick it would start after sitting for a year.
It has to do with the compression release built into the engine I believe. Don't know if this is your problem but cold weather and a slow cranking engine means hard starting even with a good battery.

Other than what is mentioned is a magnetic oil heater that sticks to the oil pan to heat the oil.