Briggs Vanguard 18 hp mod#354447 piston ring gap clearance

dave t

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Vanguard 18 hp mod#354447 piston ring gap clearance
Could someone please tell me the proper piston ring clearance on the Briggs Vanguard mod # 354447 engine
Also the torque value for the con rod , cyl head ,and the sump cover ?
thanks Dave T

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could someone please tell me the proper piston ring clearance on the Briggs Vanguard mod # 354447 engine
thanks Dave T

Connecting rod 115 in/lb
cylinder head 165 in/lb
sump 150 in/lb

Ring gap reject is .030 inch. So that would be the max, but they don't list a minimum. If cylinder is correct size then rings should be correct gap is the way they look at. it..

Tinkerer200

Threads
thanks Dave T

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. New rings May come with recommended clearances. For that engine I would shoot for .008" however, I am finding newer engines recommend different clearances for each of the 3 rings. Don't know if that applies to yours or not and do not know if manual gives clearances or not. IF you have close to .030", you have problems. My guess is you will have around .016" - .018"

Put address in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

dave t

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tinkerer, Thank you for offering me a service manual, my engine model is #354447 type 0421-E1
please send to dtreuhaft@yahoo.com
thanks

dave t

Forum Newbie
Threads
Connecting rod 115 in/lb
cylinder head 165 in/lb
sump 150 in/lb

Ring gap reject is .030 inch. So that would be the max, but they don't list a minimum. If cylinder is correct size then rings should be correct gap is the way they look at. it..

Hello Lawn King, I took my vanguard piston to an auto machinist and he told me that the piston rings on my piston are fine, there was a.010 gap . He also said that the rings on my piston are the chrome molly type. Another fellow that does motor cycle engines told me that cyl. walls on an engine that uses chrome molly rings needs to be smooth, with very little cross hatch"s. Do all Vanguard mod#354447 use chrome molly rings? I am somewhat confused .
thanks Dave T

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if they are chrome moly then the bore has to look almost like a mirror when the honing is done.

dave t

Forum Newbie
Threads
if they are chrome moly then the bore has to look almost like a mirror when the honing is done.

Would a 320 grit ball hone be the best choice, Or a 240 grit to give me the proper cylinder finish?
please advise thanks Dave T

Threads
Would a 320 grit ball hone be the best choice, Or a 240 grit to give me the proper cylinder finish?
please advise thanks Dave T

First of all do you have Cast iron sleeves ???? A magnet will tell you.....................

Threads
The cylinder sleeve is some kind of steel.
thanks Dave T

Then yes you do have cast iron sleeves, which I thought you did..... Please do not try to bore the hole, just hone it to get rid of scratch marks and get the cross hatch back.....

There are stones made for cast iron and special stones for the aluminum bores....... Ball stones are good in a sense, we use them on outboard engines all the time......

One thing to remember is you need to have the right tension on the 3 stone version, they are adjustable.......The ball type are made for different size bores.....

You do have to mic the cylinder to see if it's in spec............

Just some info for you...... Mon Ami ~!~!