Tecumseh 7 horse fuel question

jameswm1663

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,

Recently I was given a Toro Power Throw snowblower with a 7 hp Tecumseh. Been sitting in a barn a while. I changed the oil, the fuel, and the spark plug. It is a pull start. Took the carb off and it looks clean. It will only fire with starter fluid in the air intake, turns over until that burns off. So I'm thinking it is a fuel flow issue. Does that make sense? Any offhand thoughts?

Threads
Hi there,

Recently I was given a Toro Power Throw snowblower with a 7 hp Tecumseh. Been sitting in a barn a while. I changed the oil, the fuel, and the spark plug. It is a pull start. Took the carb off and it looks clean. It will only fire with starter fluid in the air intake, turns over until that burns off. So I'm thinking it is a fuel flow issue. Does that make sense? Any offhand thoughts?

If you have the engine and carb I think you have yes a good carb clean is in order.... Looks clean is iffy.... You have internal fuel nozzle and a jet to clean out .... Look in the throat of the carb and you will see a small piece of the nozzle sticking up in there.... If you have the carb I am thinking of, like on a generator then they will be color coded. Pink, blue red ETC ETC.... That should be taken out very carefully and cleaned well...

Or just take the carb off and heavily spray carb cleaner 2 bux from wal mart all up in there.... Like I said before those fuel nozzles break easy if they are stuck in there.... They are plastic...

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Also check to make sure your choke is indeed closing all the way..... Use carb spray or gas to spray in the carb to start it not ether ....

Take a old dawn dishwashing soap bottle and put some gas in it to spray in the carb.....

jameswm1663

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also check to make sure your choke is indeed closing all the way..... Use carb spray or gas to spray in the carb to start it not ether ....

Take a old dawn dishwashing soap bottle and put some gas in it to spray in the carb.....

Thank you for the insight! I went through the carb with carb cleaner. I can get it started and running, but it will only keep running with choke almost completely closed. Seems sort of smooth, with a little cough every few cycles. Does that sound normal?

The traction drive works fine, but the auger won't engage so I'll replace the drive belt now and hope that does it.

We've had snow since mid-October, so I'd love to get this done before the next dump!

Threads
Carb needs to come off then the jet and tube taken out to be cleaned.....Running on choke is not normal it's not getting enough fuel....