Snorkle on Honda GX 120

DBICK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I decided it was time to clean the air filter when I looked back and the engine had died. I checked everything out and the only problem was the element was packed with powder. After I cleaned it/replaced the element it ran fine for another few passes then it was clogged again.

I also noticed that where I clamped the hose it was a bit pinched. I loosened that and straightened out the hose. I do not feel that there is any weight pushing down on the carburetor since the entire apparatus is clamped to that riser on the spray rig.

So it looks as if I am barking up the wrong tree here and what I wanted to accomplish isn't possible. Anyone have any other ideas I can try except praying for rain to knock down the dust?

Threads
I decided it was time to clean the air filter when I looked back and the engine had died. I checked everything out and the only problem was the element was packed with powder. After I cleaned it/replaced the element it ran fine for another few passes then it was clogged again.

I also noticed that where I clamped the hose it was a bit pinched. I loosened that and straightened out the hose. I do not feel that there is any weight pushing down on the carburetor since the entire apparatus is clamped to that riser on the spray rig.

So it looks as if I am barking up the wrong tree here and what I wanted to accomplish isn't possible. Anyone have any other ideas I can try except praying for rain to knock down the dust?

Well if you are sure of no air leaks or unmetered air coming from after the carb you could try a high altitude jet in your carb.... They are cheap enough and you got more money on your new setup than a new jet....... Sea level air pressure is 14.7 PSI... Higher altitudes are going to be less air pressure.... You have created, with your snorkel setup a lower air pressure situation.... That is why you can find a sweet spot with the choke partially closed......

Just a thought Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Scratch the last post I did.... I'll get back later...

I agree with Blaze maybe you getting unmetered air from where the carb connects to the engine.... while it's running spray some WD-40 behind the carb on the gaskets and see what happens.... If it levels out then that is your issue......

I still have one more post after you answer this one ~!~!

Last edited:
Threads
If you are not getting the extra air from behind the carb then I do have a solution for you .....

Waiting on your response ~!~!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was thinking the same thing.

DBICK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again for all the replies. I will try there WD-40 trick and report back next week.

Threads
Thanks again for all the replies. I will try there WD-40 trick and report back next week.

Yes let me know something.... But I will tell you now.......... IF you don't have unmetered / unwanted air coming in after the carb then get you some thumb / micro drill bits, a whole set of them........ Then find the one that fits into the jet opening....

Go up 1 size, or 2 sizes larger than the original factory opening..... Don't worry 1 size up is only a small fraction just enough to take some brass off... We do that all the time when carbs get varnished and gummed real bad...... You are making the jet hole a teeny tiny bigger to allow for more fuel flow to get in there with the air mix......

Blaze and C Purvis will agree with me on this ....... BTW Blaze are your sides still splitting LMAO ???????

Plus Tard Mon Ami .....

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes let me know something.... But I will tell you now.......... IF you don't have unmetered / unwanted air coming in after the carb then get you some thumb / micro drill bits, a whole set of them........ Then find the one that fits into the jet opening....

Go up 1 size, or 2 sizes larger than the original factory opening..... Don't worry 1 size up is only a small fraction just enough to take some brass off... We do that all the time when carbs get varnished and gummed real bad...... You are making the jet hole a teeny tiny bigger to allow for more fuel flow to get in there with the air mix......

Blaze and C Purvis will agree with me on this ....... BTW Blaze are your sides still splitting LMAO ???????

Plus Tard Mon Ami .....

I agree.
Yes, my sides still hurt especially when I think of the little present waiting for someone.

DBICK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you guys. Sorry for the late reply. Holidays and all that.

I tried the wd40 trick and the engine did not run better. We actually got some rain here in CA so the field will not be so dusty for a few months. I probably will just hook things back up as normal and try this snorkel setup next summer. Thanks for the tip on enlarging the jet. I appreciate all the help.