Briggs& Stratton 13.5 wont start

nemo56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did all work suggested inpast post. All switches are good. Still no spark with kill wire on. I guessbad wiring is all that's left
Thanks

Padroo

Threads
Without a wiring diagram in front of me I wouldn't know for sure but all those interlocks should be a series circuit, a break anywhere will open the circuit. With a test light or a voltmeter start testing and see where power is or isn't then follow the yellow brick road.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without a wiring diagram in front of me I wouldn't know for sure but all those interlocks should be a series circuit, a break anywhere will open the circuit. With a test light or a voltmeter start testing and see where power is or isn't then follow the yellow brick road.

Padroo has it backwards.
The kill circuit is a ground circuit that grounds out the coil, so a break anywhere in it will allow the coil to fire, not prevent it sparking.
There is 2 ignition circuits in play during cranking
1) key switch
2) Parking brake & PTO switches
Depending upon your model, the parking brake switch is a double switch.
One pair of contacts will have 12V pass through it which goes to the starter solenoid & the other pair ( usually black or brown ) will e a ground circuit that grounds out the magneto.
The PTO switch will be the same as the brake if you have a manual blade engagement .
If it has electric blade clutch then the PTO Switch will have a lot of ground contacts + a pair of cranking contact ( 12V in start position ) + a pair of Clutch contacts , usually a ground contact as well ( Electric clutches are electrically isolated so have a + & - connection )

Threads
I agree with Bert..... Some of those switches are dual switches either one is normally open and the other 2 legs will be normally closed..... 1 or 2 of the switches on most mowers are like that... Hence you just can't unplug the seat switch anymore most of the time..... Those switches can be confusing.......

That's my quarter since 2 cent's ain't worth nothing no more............

Plus Tard ~!~!