60 inch deck chute mod

ukrkoz

Threads
Guess, I'll show you my deck chute cover mod..
I also cut as much as I could out of the deck chute rear corner.. I can't cut any more, as I am limited by mulching kit cover. It still clumps fresh grass in that corner, but less. I ride mower with a stick between my feet. ever so often, I stop and lift cover up with that stick, then use it to shake grass clump off the deck. That deck curve .... it does nothing more but to collect fresh grass clippings... I'll never again buy a mower with deck discharge like that. Got to be like Toro has - straight deck, chute across entire deck, no corners for grass to get stuck in.
Anyhow. What I did, because the OEM chute cover was hanging down low, causing major grass backup, was I built two side walls out of sheet metal. As the result, it holds cover up much higher allowing much easier discharge. Yes, it does toss clippings higher up and farther, sure. And, if you turn right into the wind, it'll blow all that right at you.. But it discharges much easier now.

Attachments

• 20181111_111040.jpg
    20181111_111040.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20181111_111100.jpg
    20181111_111100.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181111_111120.jpg
    20181111_111120.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20181111_111143.jpg
    20181111_111143.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 44

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you use a phone to take pictures it codes it differently than a computer. Phones screens are tall and narrow and computers are narrow and long. So the coding for how it shows on a computer is going to turn it. If you put it on a computer first then open it in Paint then use "save as" it will display correctly.

Now to your post. I would have used some old mud flaps or something made of rubber so when I hit something it would not have to be bent back into place.

ukrkoz

Threads
They WERE saved to PC. Phone won't upload directly. I could have rotated them and then upped, but why. Google Drive link works.

I have this mod through, pretty much, entire summer. It never bent. Not that I hit trees and such, I am reasonable driver. But tons of mole mounds and fence sometimes. It simply bounces up.

mhavanti

Threads
ukrkz,

If you'd cut the enforcement bar down to .375 (3/8") your problems will be all gone. That gets the top of the enforcement bar below the blade throwing out the clippings. What you've done is a part of the problem, however, you left the real offending problem is the clippings still have to encounter the inside of the enforcement bar.

Since you don't use a grass catcher apparently, make a grass catcher scallop block off plate to make the top of the deck straight from the front to the rear. I absolutely never put down the discharge chute deflector and neither does anyone else that are using my block off plate. I mean that deck's discharge is amazing with those two upgrades.

Added a couple of pics to give you an idea. I'll have to run the video I made of the discharge chute modification to capture what I removed as I don't have a still photo of it on the computer tonight. I really should take a couple of stills of the removed area I kept for visitors to the GarajMahal that drops by to see mine in person.

Try it, you'll like it. lol

Good luck,

Max

DSC05049.jpgDSC00130.jpg

ukrkoz

Threads
I think I watched your vids in another post. Unless it wasn't you.
Thing is, look at the L hand chute corner. It's a 90 degree nook, right? Now, which direction are blades spinning? Right towards it. What do they do? They toss grass right on the nook edge and into it. That's exactly where the grass builds up. Vertical lump. I don't really have issues with bottom bar catching anything. Though I am likely to trim it down some time later as you did. Every inch counts.
With mod like yours, no need to make it. You can simply cut cover short, with all its factory attachment, aye?
It's not the cover that ticks me off. It's that edge in deck plus nook behind it.
I was thinking about it... they should have designed chute all the way to the left hand deck back wall, without that nook. Grass flies in that direction anyway. Why they have that chite in the deck front, that's question to designers. My stick cleaning works fine, except slowing me down a bit.
Anyhow..
Flail mower will be on order soon... I may bid farewell to this Hustler then...

ukrkoz

Threads
I also just noticed that my chute is opened much more than yours. I took like entire nook front wall out. Yet, it still builds up grass on the vertical edge. It's blades tossing it there, telling you....

mhavanti

Threads
Your opening is absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with opening it that far back. I didn't cut mine out simply because I have never had any clumping no matter how wet the Bermuda happened to be. I even cut during a hard rain once that I could barely see if I was staying on line from the last pass. But then, Bermuda is a thin grass even when it is soaking wet.

Back to the opening, I cut the deck opening and the enforcement bar down for testing purposes only as well as to document it for the forum and other venues I'm a part of.

Since the blades do only turn one way, no matter how much you cut out of the deck side wall, there is always going to be a starting and stopping point unless you only leave the upper deck. Then I foresee a problem lifting the grass enough to cut efficiently. lol. Might even have a bit of another problem such as safety. At any point, if it is still clumping at that rear corner, sell the mower and just burn off the grass because you can't hardly remove any more of your deck vertical area. Check how dark the top of your enforcement bar. That shows you the grass is being slammed into that bar possibly causing the clippings to ride it to the rear. May not though. Just a thought.

If what you've got is working, leave that sucker alone.

Max