Snowblower gas blowout

thumbscore

Forum Newbie
Threads
MIL asked me to see if her snow blower was working today. Have no idea if it was maintained in the spring when it was put away (dont think it was).
There was no gas, so I put a little in.
The pull to start it wouldn't pull, engine seemed seized up. Tried electric start, and it was the same. Pulled again and it started to move, and i pulled it slowly a few times.. seemed to loosen up. I pushed the priming bulb a couple times, choked it, and pushed the starter button. it fired up immediately, seemed to be running very fast.
I notice gas was shooting out of a hose which is on a silver cover near the carb. I let it ran for 30-45 seconds and gas kept shooting out of that hose...

I'm not very familiar with the machine, have only used it at her place once before... gas shooting out aint normal. :)

Toro 724 QXE, new-ish..

Trying to attach picture showing the hose, hope that worked.

edit: according to parts diagram gas was coming out of "127-9095 TUBE-BREATHER" which is attached to valve cover.

thanks!

Attachments

• 20181111_112438_LI_Moment(2).jpg
    20181111_112438_LI_Moment(2).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your oil level, betting it will be overfilled. If it is overfilled not an expensive fix, but will involve a little time on your part. The float needle is probably stuck open, so the carb will need to be cleaned and rebuilt, oil changed and you should be back in business. Post the model and serial numbers off the tag on the back of the unit and I’ll get you the parts numbers you will need. Cause is fuel left in the over the summer, I’ll explain how to resolve this problem later. Have seen this problem at least a dozen times this fall already and after getting our first snow Friday, I’ll bet there’s at least one waiting for me tomorrow.

thumbscore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dip stick seemed fine, doesn't look like oil is over filled.

Model is Toro 724 QXE
Picture isn't super clear, but it looks like 130-9647
S/N 1309647150500029

What are the chances spraying cleaner into the carb drain hole would work? I don't know a lot about carbs (wish I did), it's not mine so I don't want to mess it up or make it worse. I'll probably take it in if a quick shot of carb cleaner doesn't help, or a couple nice taps with a screwdriver handle.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel shooting out the breather hose is normally caused by an excess of fluid in the crankcase. This will result in the crankcase pressure pushing the fluid into the valve chamber and out the breather hose. Try this simple and cheap test. Drain the crankcase and refill with about 20 oz. of 5W-30 oil. Start the engine and see if the problem disappears. This is the first thing I would do if it came into the shop. If it doesn’t solve the problem I would be removing the carb and rebuilding it.