Repairs DYT4000 slips on slight inclines, temperature?

engprosinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman DYT 4000 lawn tractor that I bought used two years ago. Until now, the tranny worked great. Sometimes too fast for me, but it was there when I needed it (not cutting the grass at the time, just for traveling from one place to another). Recently the temp around here in NJ fell into the 40's, and when I started the tractor, and put it in reverse, it barely moved. Eventually, it moved far enough that I could put it in forward, and began to mulch the leaves. When I came to an area in the lawn that had a very slight upward pitch, although the engine and blades ran fine, the back wheels barely turned. When I went back to level ground, the forward speed was OK, but I didn't try to "open it up". No need to. Question, can a temperature in the 40's require a "warm up" period before engaging the drive? BTW, the tractor is stored outside, but covered. This problem didn't occur until now. Any need for a "glued on " electric heater on the pump? Anything for the tranny itself?

I read that the tranny and hydraulic pump are "not serviceable". I've viewed many posts and videos that said they are, at least as far as changing the oil in the pump and tranny. If I want to drain the oil in the pump, can I access it without dropping the whole transaxle or removing the top chassis? My plan is to evacuate the oil out with a vacuum pump, such as the one I use to remove the oil out of my cars engines,and replace it with fresh oil. Ditto for the transmission too.

Any comments?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start by changing the belt. While you are under there get the numbers off the tranny so I can get you the service manual.

engprosinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would start by changing the belt. While you are under there get the numbers off the tranny so I can get you the service manual.
Thank you. Will do. In the meantime, I will warm up the engine for awhile, because it will take awhile to get the belt and install it. I have to mulch today. 38F this morning, ice on the ground. Ugh!

engprosinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Will do. In the meantime, I will warm up the engine for awhile, because it will take awhile to get the belt and install it. I have to mulch today. 38F this morning, ice on the ground. Ugh!

Where do I find the transaxle number? On the chassis or the axle?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Axle