Kohler 17 HP no spark

Beercan31

Forum Newbie
Threads
this may have been posted in the wrong area once before.

I have a Bolens Eliminator 1700 Kohler 17HP as of right now NO Spark. the machine is in good/great shape considering it does not run and a sound motor would be the deciding factor on whether its repaired or parted out.

I have not tested the condenser for a dead short as of yet. I am in the understanding that the coil on a 17HP Kohler is a one of a kind only specific to that motor and replacement value for the coil is $200.00.. That will make anyone sit down and rethink :confused2:. has anyone found a work around for this problem?

1. I thought about finding 2 coils ( NAPA or Auto Zone ) and setting them up in parallel and dedicating a coil to each plug but this rises another problem with the condenser MF being to low and arcing the points over.

any help, ideas in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us the engine numbers so we can see what you are talking about.

Beercan31

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler 17 HP
mod. KT17QS
ser. 24351

the part # for the coil 5214702.

Threads
Kohler 17 HP
mod. KT17QS
ser. 24351

the part # for the coil 5214702.

Bring the coil and condenser to Napa or a place that can check the coil and condenser for you.... Most places are free for those checks.... We have a place here in town that does it for free... If the condenser is bad thet will have a replacement more that likely or a coil that is a match for way cheaper than 200....

Let us know Mon Ami......

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BeerCan, the reason that the price of the coil is so high is that it is no longer available and who ever is selling it know some people will pay big buck to have the original screw terminal coil. My suggestion as stated before is go to a good auto parts store and get an automotive coil. I’ve used this style of Kohler's in the past and have not had a problem with them. Make sure you get one for points and condenser ignition. You will have to change the plug wires to the push on style, but the only problem there is to find an older mechanic that knows how to make them. In my opinion, as long as you are going to spend money on the coil and wires, I would replace the points and condenser while you are at it. That way you will have eliminated electrical parts if you need to troubleshoot down the road. Just my opinion.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m doing a little checking and I guess these coils are not as popular as they use to be. The only one I can find is for 2 cycle motorcycles. You might have to go to a cycle shop to get one or online. This site has the type I am talking about. Works on Onan engines, should work on Kohler. Even has the twist lock boots. Hope this helps. https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/ign...JpCh1v0AJJEAQYCyABEgI-vvD_BwE&ad=228600803220

Padroo

Threads
Is there a conversion made for those to go to a solid state ignition?

Beercan31

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You All for your responses.

I have booked marked the sight for the Harley coil price is much nicer that what Kohler and Stems are offering. it will be sometime before I can get to play with this machine again with bad weather and low temps moving in and no shelter from the elements.

again Thank You All