Hard Starting Honda-Powered Craftsman LT3000

miltstrk

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda powered (GXV series motor) Craftsman 3000 will only start if I turn the engine to a certain position. I installed a new battery, this did not improve starting. I have the screen and the housing marked so all I have to do is line the marks up, but its a task that I do not wish to continue. Tractor gets a lot more use now in the fall cleaning up leaves!
What is wrong with this engine? I was told the valves need to be re-set to allow the starter to engage the flywheel at any position..... Not sure that if I set out to do this it might make it worse. I cant be the first person to have this issue; can I?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post both the craftsman model and serial numbers (under the seat) so we can see what you are talking about. The LT3000 I find have B & S engines. Second get a new mechanic, as adjusting the valves have nothing to do with starter engagement. Run very fast from this guy, he’s looking for easy money.

miltstrk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman mower information :
Craftsman LT3000 Lawn Tractor Honda powered, 16.5 HP YHNKS, GXV 530
Model #917-273500
Serial # 022703C002078

Honda Engine Numbers (from plates on right-side of engine on flywheel cover shroud)
engine family YHNKS.5312AL
GXV530-1004937

The starter will engage the flywheel, but only if I turn the flywheel to match or what I think is the non-compression point. On occasion the starter will engage the flywheel and start , but often not. Could this be a timing issue?
The starter will hit the flywheel teeth and not engage. The starter has nicely beveled teeth, no burrs; the flywheel teeth are straight with no burrs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would be checking is the battery. Measure battery voltage with the key off. Then have someone turn the key to the start position and read battery voltage. Key off voltage 12.6-13.4. Battery voltage at start 10.5+. From your description either your battery is weak or you have a bad or dirty connections. If everything in the starting system is good, then I would check the valve clearances, but I can’t tell you the last time I’ve had to adjust the valves on a Honda engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two years ago you started a thread about your problem. Yesterday you started a new thread with the same problem. Are you telling us that for two years you had no problems and now it is reoccurring? If you want help from us you had better tell us what has been going on all this time and give us a very good picture of what you have gone so far. Robert@Honda gave you some things to look for and you answer him two years later??? I have given you some tests to do in your other thread, do you have any intention of doing them in the next year??? If you do and post back I hope another procrastinator can help you, because there are no techs on this forum who are going to wait for you. I suggest that you go back to the guy who told you “to reset the valves so the starter will engage in any position”. Sounds like he is a lot smarter and more knowledgeable than me. Bye.

miltstrk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Voltage with key off is 12.5 volts. Voltage with key in the start position is 12.3 volts. I can hear the solenoid engage (nice solid clunk) and drive the gear to the flywheel ring during this test. Battery was replaced in September of this year.
I will check the battery and heavy cable connections when I take the shroud off the engine (for pictures) tomorrow night. They did not show any issues during tonight's test.