8hp Briggs will only start with starting fluid

poe34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I have an 8hp Briggs 190000 (flat head with a fuel pump) that will only start with starting fluid, and then runs great. I just ran it for an hour, turned it off and tried to start it again, with no luck. This was my neighbors blower who gave it to me after giving up on it after replacing the carb. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Threads
Hey guys, I have an 8hp Briggs 190000 (flat head with a fuel pump) that will only start with starting fluid, and then runs great. I just ran it for an hour, turned it off and tried to start it again, with no luck. This was my neighbors blower who gave it to me after giving up on it after replacing the carb. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wow a 8 HP with a fuel pump ???? External fuel pump with the 3 hoses on it ?????

A few pics would be nice, but you might need to post a few more times to post pics on here.....

Give the Model number and type please and I'll try to help more..... I never saw a pump on a 8 HP before.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

poe34

Forum Newbie
Threads
What I know about small engines is what I have learned on the internet, lol. My engine is this exact model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtjV2ymppI I will attach a screen shot from the video, I don't have access to the blower right now, I'm at work. Thanks again for any assistance! I just don't understand why it runs perfectly after it starts! What does it need to start that it doesn't need when it runs?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.40.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.40.53 AM.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 34
Threads
Ok now that I see you have horizontal engine I am familiar with the fuel pump.... The verticals don't have them on the snapper mowers.... Gravity fed from an above tank.....

I still need the model number... It should be on the metal air shroud near the spark plug on top or on the side of it......

In fact there was a guy on here a while back needing a pump like yours.... If that's the same exact pump then they don't make them anymore....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
there is a guy on ebay who sells those fuel pumps from time to time. They are obsolete and the ones that replace them are a PITA to rig in although they work. That will be your problem. There are also kits to rebuild them if the housing isn't cracked.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Did you check the choke butterfly to see if it closes when you slide the choke lever to the side?

The mix needs to be RICHER when starting cold.

I have a similar engine on a generator, the choke is a manual / flip the lever to the side.

As a side (at least for this machine), the tank is fairly low. The engine will run with a FULL tank of fuel.
Once you reach about half full, the pump needs to be working as the fuel level (in the carb bowl) is NOW below that of the tank..

I did have to replace that pump many years ago...

poe34

Forum Newbie
Threads
2 years later, lol, I have an update. I stuck the blower in the corner of the garage and just took it out again. I replaced the fuel lines and tore the carb and fuel pump apart. Both were very clean inside. Same thing, fired with starting fluid, I did a round of leaves in the yard and turned it off to clean the leaves that had stuck to the front of the blower and nothing. I tried starting with the cap off, no good. I guess I should see if I have spark when it's hot, but since it will only fire with starting fluid, I always thought it was a fuel issue. I wish I knew if my neighbor bought a B&S carb or some chinese aftermarket. Would B&S have some markings on the replacement carb?

Model 196432 "Industrial Plus"

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if its got a choke, is it closing all the way?

poe34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has a choke, and yes, it is closing all the way.