How often to check valve lash

rmrufener

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry if this has already been asked. I couldn't find the answer. I have a Husqvarna push mower with a Honda GCV160 engine. The Husq owners manual does not mention checking the valve lash as part of the maintenance program. The Honda owners manual states that it should be checked every 100 hours. This mower is about 3 years old and only gets used to trim after mowing with a rider. Is it really necessary to check this that often?

Threads
100 Hours is quite a while for just a trim mower .............

Example 30 minutes per day cutting once a week for 52 weeks would be 26 hours a year. 4 years of use would be 100 hours.....

If you use it 52 weeks of a year.........

rmrufener

Forum Newbie
Threads
30 minutes a week for 24-26 weeks is probably correct for our part of the world. I guess I hadn't looked at it that way. I probably wouldn't mind checking it every 7-8 years if need be :smile: Thanks for giving me that perspective.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The valves will let you know if they are ready for adjustment, sound like rocks in a can.

Threads
30 minutes a week for 24-26 weeks is probably correct for our part of the world. I guess I hadn't looked at it that way. I probably wouldn't mind checking it every 7-8 years if need be :smile: Thanks for giving me that perspective.

I have friends down here that use Honda mowers and they cut lawns for money..... They change their oil 4 times a year and air filter regular and go 4 to 5 years on their mowers......

Never did anything to the valves............

TLAR640

Threads
I have friends down here that use Honda mowers and they cut lawns for money..... They change their oil 4 times a year and air filter regular and go 4 to 5 years on their mowers......

Never did anything to the valves............

I recently checked mine just past 200 hrs and found the exhaust way too loose, and the intake slightly loose. Mower actually runs quieter now!

Threads
Yes! sorry. GCV190 on an HRX217HYA.

Yes 200 hours it did needed one more than likely...... I run Mostly Briggs and they need them valves tweaked more often than Honda's......... Honda's are one of the best engines on Jagger pumps than any other engines in my opinion .... We use a lot of them around South Louisiana ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As previously mentioned.
If you can hear the rockers over the sound of the exhaust then the valve lash needs to be looked at.
Also if the mower is hard to pull start and sort of jerks is a sign that the valve lash is too big.
I do them every second service on most customers mowers so for most that would be every 4 years or so.