Toro Timemaster 20199- No Start, Fuel leaking under Muffler- Bad Head Gasket ?

ToroGA

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Timemaster 20199- No Start, Fuel leaking under Muffler- Bad Head Gasket ?
Hello Fellow members,
I recently bought a 30 inch Toro timemaster mower 190cc engine, the previous owner said it was smoking and had a bad head gasket.
I have done the following.
1. checked the oil level and it was good.
2. added fresh fuel

The fuel tank was empty, so I put some fuel in and tried to start it. After pulling the cord a few times I noticed gas leaking underneath the muffler. I removed the head and inspected the head gasket and it did not look damaged. I did find some fuel inside the muffler when I took it off.

Then I put it back together but did not tighten the bolts more than hand tight since I do not have a torque wrench. When I try to start it I hear a puffing noise, probably should have listened for the noise before taking it apart. I have a new head gasket to install, just need to get a torque wrench. I have tried to turn the starter recoil flywheel by hand and after 2-3 rotations i hear the puff/pop noise.

The flywheel is a bit stiff when turning but then it get easier but not completely free when turning. I am trying to determine what i need to check to see if the motor is bad or if the head gasket is bad but show no signs or damage. I read online that fuel could be from the carb gasket, but since its leaking on the other side of the engine I don't think thats the problem. I have read that the keyway could also be broken. Could loose valve cause this symptom also ?

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro Timemaster 20199- No Start, Fuel leaking under Muffler- Bad Head Gasket ?
My bet is your whole problem is a stuck float needle in the carb. This is allowing fuel to run from the tank, thru the carb, into the cylinder and then the muffler. Remedy, remove the carb and rebuild, replacing the float needle and seat. Just my opinion, but have seen it more than once.