magnito problem

JCkuch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 18.5 HP briggs, 31P777 model. I have put 2 magnito's in it now and the second one has failed again. Both were Briggs part and not aftermarket. So I am assuming at this point it is not the magnito that the problem. In both cases, I replaced it, I ran it few times (start, stop, cut grass, ect), then the came back to start and its dead again, no spark. Check the plug, both new and old same results. I am not an electrical wiz, so this one has me stumped. Any other suggestions to check?

Tinkerer200

Threads
I have a 18.5 HP briggs, 31P777 model. I have put 2 magnito's in it now and the second one has failed again. Both were Briggs part and not aftermarket. So I am assuming at this point it is not the magnito that the problem. In both cases, I replaced it, I ran it few times (start, stop, cut grass, ect), then the came back to start and its dead again, no spark. Check the plug, both new and old same results. I am not an electrical wiz, so this one has me stumped. Any other suggestions to check?

Briggs CDI Units or coils are very reliable. Sounds like you are feeding battery current to the coil which will quickly destroy it. Pull the "Kill wire" off the coil and check for voltage on it in any key position. Should have none, this is a short out to ground wire. IF there is, wire could be shorting with a hot wire OR the switch is bad putting voltage on the kill wire.

Walt Conner

PS: I would check with a small repair shop for a used coil, should be plenty of them out there. Large shops generally do not want to fool with used parts.

JCkuch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs CDI Units or coils are very reliable. Sounds like you are feeding battery current to the coil which will quickly destroy it. Pull the "Kill wire" off the coil and check for voltage on it in any key position. Should have none, this is a short out to ground wire. IF there is, wire could be shorting with a hot wire OR the switch is bad putting voltage on the kill wire.

Walt Conner

PS: I would check with a small repair shop for a used coil, should be plenty of them out there. Large shops generally do not want to fool with used parts.

Thanks Walt, good suggestion. I will give it try this weekend. Its out at the lake