Composting and lawn care

cherylz97

Forum Newbie
Threads
anyone produce large amount of lawn trimmings and have them up as a compost?

The only thing I can is lawn trimmings, no other compost I'm not sure if the carbon/nitrogen mix will fix

i looked at sites like http://decompose.co and howtocompost but they dont say anything on it

Pumper54

Threads
You can add non glossy shredded paper to the grass clippings to increase the carbon/nitrogen mix. Grass clippings will break down over time it just takes longer and sometimes smells real bad if it is wet before it starts to rot. Non meat kitchen scraps can be added also.
Good luck with it
Tom

Hukexin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a good idea about fertilizer for the lawn.

I used to buy fertilizer from the mall, and then I found a chicken farm near my house.
They were also worried about chicken manure treatment. I bought a separator and now I get free fertilizer.
Now not only do I no longer need to buy lawn fertilizer, but I also provide fertilizer for businesses.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
the best way to get the compost to decompose faster is turn it with a tractor. then it will break down faster.

arslant001

Threads
The best way to care your lawn to hire a professional lawn care expert that take care of your garden.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can either build or purchase a compost bin & dump grass clippings, leaves, etc. for your garden, flower beds, etc., works great.
Make sure compost bin is in full sun & is getting fresh air. Spread compost over garden area & till under with Tiller in early Spring. I usually add Annual Rye Grass seed in winter & let it grow. Makes for fresh loamy soil. We made raised beds for planting seed & plants. Produced good yield of vegetables!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you really want to build up your soil sow it in crimson clover in September and turn it under in the spring after it blooms. It is a legume and affixes nitrogen in the soil the clover is also a green manure. If you want to really do it up right sow it in soy beans and turn them under same as the crimson clover affixes nitrogen and plant is green manure. If you have a plot you are working on and want to work on it and not grow crops on it for a year or so you can sow it down in sorghum sudan and turn it under as a green manure crop. You can plant several crops a year and turn them under.