what's my tractor worth

451johnny

Threads
I just got a Kubota B7001 4x4 I believe it was built in the 80's everything work's like it should except that it blows white smoke when you start it but all and all its a very fast and strong machine..I don't know much about them except that they are good tractors..Does anybody know what this machine is worth...thanks in advance...johnny

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
White smoke is an indicator of water in the cylinders. I suspect you have a blown head gasket which will greatly reduce the value of the unit unless fixed. If it has been run this way for some time, you may have a cracked head. New head can easily run $1200+. If you were to ask me about trade in value, the most I would give you, on that unit, in that condition, would probably be $1000. With a possible $2500+ in repairs your options are limited.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Just do an oil analysis to be sure. 25 bucks. Could be low compression or bad injector spray pattern as well.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
The OP said it only blows white smoke on startup. I assume it stops blowing that smoke after a few seconds. If it had a bad head gasket or cracked head, wouldn't it blow white smoke continuously?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not always, as a small leak will puddle in the cylinder, causing white smoke on startup. As I said, may be an indicator of bad problems. We’re talking about a thirty year old unit and would be shooting in the dark. Other problems may not be as visible, like worn clutch, hydraulic problems such as hoses and cylinders. Any maintainance records, I’ll bet not. Changing hydraulic oil alone with Super UDT is $125.00 plus labor. Unless I was standing there looking at the unit, $1000 trade in maybe high.