Engine L111 Briggs and Stratton Oil dripping off engine bolt

PittsburghKnights

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / L111 Briggs and Stratton Oil dripping off engine bolt
I'm getting oil dripping off of an engine bolt, on my John Deere L111..

You can see which bolt it is from these pictures. It does NOT seem to be dripping down the side of the engine, just off the bolt head, directly off the head of the bolt. I'm going to try to get a better look at it, but the oil seems to possibly be coming from between bolt, washer and engine...

I checked the bolt, I'd say it was snug, but not tight, with very little tension movement, it was loose. I tightened it and the leak seemed to get worse. FYI, my neighbor helped repair a bent rod on this tractor 4 years ago. I assisted...

Question 1. What else should I look for?

Question 2 is, what should these bolts be tightened to? Could this simply be a problem of loose bolts?

Question 3 is, if it's a leaky gasket, is there any other way to repair without removing entire engine? How difficult a job is this going to be?

Thanks in advance!!!
20181104_151024.jpg20181104_151014.jpg

Threads
That is a sump bolt.... If it stops leaking then you good to go.... If it continues then your gasket is bad and has to be replaced...

Yes the engine has to come off.... Easy job to do ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

PittsburghKnights

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a sump bolt.... If it stops leaking then you good to go.... If it continues then your gasket is bad and has to be replaced...

Yes the engine has to come off.... Easy job to do ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Yeah, leaks faster after I tightened it.

Purchased the parts, thanks for the encouragement, looking at the service manual now. I figure the bolt was loose because the gasket got sucked in, or blown out. Yes, it seems fairly straight forward. I'll hopefully post next weekend, about a non-leaking L111. I'm going to replace the rocker gaskets as well. Seems to be a lot of oil coming from there too...

THANKS again for the encouragement.

PittsburghKnights

Forum Newbie
Threads
So few people follow up afterwards, so I thought I would...

This is what I found when I took it apart. Looks like stuff was blowing past this gasket, and it was potentially not put in correctly when my friend helped replace that thrown rod 5 years ago. There was a lot of oil and gunk on that side of the engine, and a lot sitting on the underside of the frame... It almost looks like we totally failed on tightening the bolts correctly, or something...

Anyway, the new gasket is in.

20181108_112830.jpg

Threads
So few people follow up afterwards, so I thought I would...

This is what I found when I took it apart. Looks like stuff was blowing past this gasket, and it was potentially not put in correctly when my friend helped replace that thrown rod 5 years ago. There was a lot of oil and gunk on that side of the engine, and a lot sitting on the underside of the frame... It almost looks like we totally failed on tightening the bolts correctly, or something...

Anyway, the new gasket is in.

View attachment 41400

Thanks for the update......... The main reason for torquing the bolts to a certain inch or foot pounds and a pattern to do it by is that reason right there........

Thanks for the update......