Looking for ZT with room for my gut

sebrogia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!
I am in the market for a residential ZT mower. Problem is I have a very large stomach and I am also 6'4". Most ZTs I have sat on do not have enough room for me to properly use the lap bars. Is there anyone out there that has this same situation or know someone with this problem and has found a ZT that is roomy enough. I have considered getting one and modifying the lap bars but it would be better if I can just buy it and leave it like it is. Keyword is residential here. ~$3000. And before anyone says I should be walking, I have a bad hip and two bad knees. I sat on a Hustler Raptor sd 60 which is out of my price range, but I could operate it somewhat comfortably if there was more leg room. It allows just enough room for me to move the lap bars in reverse. I have been considering an Ariens Ikon X 42, just need to find a place that has one on the showroom floor to test it out. Any info or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

sebrogia

dfbroxy

Threads
I dont know how much room each ZT has, but I think it would be easier to move the seat mounting bracket back than to cut on the steering arms.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro Timecutter has adjustable lap bars, You can go "UP" one hole on the mounts. I would think many others might as well.

MowLife

Threads
Swisher puts out a ZTR for under 3k however its joystick controlled...but plenty room for any size gut.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I think you need a manual push mower. Exercise and reduce the size of that shelf. In your best interest health wise....:thumbsup:

ukrkoz

Threads
1. you can remove bars and re install them with handles pointing out. I tried it, didn't really like it, but you can do that. Open space in the front.
2. if you were real handy, you could cut bars and weld or, otherwise attach, something like balls onto the cut areas, basically turning them into joysticks.
3. bars normally have alignment bolts allowing to change their angle left/right.
4. I saw several mowers with factory joysticks instead of bars, but they are outside of your budget.

You have knee and hip issues because of body weight. That's coming from Certified Orthotist.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've seen some pretty big guys on ZTRs. Most control levers have adjustments both up/down and in/out. All the way out and up should work for you on most machines I'd think.

sebrogia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all your input and help. Bad hip and knees are not from being overweight. The arthritis and sclerosis are from injuries sustained while serving in Iraq. Yes being overweight doesn't help matters, but that is hard to avoid when I am not able to run or exercise much in any kind of way. No offense, but I came here for lawnmower help. Not to be schooled on my physique, or what I should do because of my big gut. Thank you to the guys that replied with sensible answers. I was thinking along the same lines of modifying the lap bars. I think I have my eyes set on an Ariens Ikon X 42/52. See how that turns out and go from there.

Thank you,
sebrogia

SidecarFlip

Threads
One thing to keep in mind with almost every zero turn and that is, they ride rough if the turf is at all uneven. Having said that, the rough ride will bounce your 'gut' around and it won't be a comfortable ride by a long shot. I have a small gut (I'm 70) and I always wear a kidney belt when mowing.

sebrogia

Forum Newbie
Threads
One thing to keep in mind with almost every zero turn and that is, they ride rough if the turf is at all uneven. Having said that, the rough ride will bounce your 'gut' around and it won't be a comfortable ride by a long shot. I have a small gut (I'm 70) and I always wear a kidney belt when mowing.

Good to know!, thank you