2016 Dixie Classic won’t restart

Ilsid2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 Classic that has done this to me 3 times now. The first time Inhad ran out of fuel, switched to the other tank, disengaged the blades and it would not restart. I went and looked at my manual but could find no help, 15 to 30 minutes elapsed and when I got back on the machine, it stated and ran fine. The second time was about 2 months later, (two weeks ago), I had stopped my machine after just starting to mow and when I got back on it, it would not start, again after 15 minutes or so, it started and ran fine until it ran out of fuel. I again switched my tank as I have always done, disengaged my blades and attempted to start my machine. This time (#3), it would not start, I had to load it onto a trailer and take it to my dealer, it still would not start the next morning and was lifted off the trailer via fork lift. Then the machine started normally and would not duplicate the failure. I now have my machine at home but am looking for help in solving this mystery.

larrye44

Threads
Sounds like a vapor lock in fuel line. Get some cable ties and secure the fuel lines to anything that is as far away as possible from the engine, or any heat source. It is not necessary to move them a great distance, just get them away as far as you can. Sometimes just a few inches will make the difference.

I had this happen to me on my 2005-LT2400.

Hope this will solve the mystery.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.dixiechopper.com/support/manuals&cat1=22&cat2=484

use hands on & check all electrical connections, seat switch under seat, pto connection, all ground straps & cables from battery to engine & engine to chassis making sure by hand everything is tight & secure. also check all switches & relays for being tight & secure. let us know what you find, thanks.

larrye44

Threads
I am a little confused. This forum member has not had a reply to his OP since Nov. 2018.

Why would an electrical problem correct itself after a short period of cooling off time and reoccur several times thereafter?

mechanic mark, I am eager to learn more, which is why I am on this forum. Please tell me why you think this is an electrical problem? I am only asking so I can learn a little more. I understand that electrical problems come and go and are difficult to isolate. I have had electrical problems on my Dixie Chopper and believe me I need to learn as much as I can. Rivets and bertsmobile1 have helped me tremendously with my electrical problems.

Thanks in advance, mechanic mark, I am very interested in finding out what llsid2000's problem is.

My suggestion was just from my personal experience and by no means could it be considered a professional fix for his problem. Just something he could try.

Larry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am a little confused. This forum member has not had a reply to his OP since Nov. 2018.

Why would an electrical problem correct itself after a short period of cooling off time and reoccur several times thereafter?

mechanic mark, I am eager to learn more, which is why I am on this forum. Please tell me why you think this is an electrical problem? I am only asking so I can learn a little more. I understand that electrical problems come and go and are difficult to isolate. I have had electrical problems on my Dixie Chopper and believe me I need to learn as much as I can. Rivets and bertsmobile1 have helped me tremendously with my electrical problems.

Thanks in advance, mechanic mark, I am very interested in finding out what llsid2000's problem is.

My suggestion was just from my personal experience and by no means could it be considered a professional fix for his problem. Just something he could try.

Larry

Dixie generally fit an oil switch to the engines like Honda does.
So when the engine is cold & all of the oil has drained back into the sump the switch sees minimum oil so alows the engine to start.
When running the oil gets tossed around inside the engine and falls below the switch cut out level but the engine will continue to run because the oil switch is on the cranking circuit.
You should now see what is happening.
leave it for long enough for the oil to drop back and cranks away.
A regular problem with my "I do my own servicing" customers who refuse to change the oil annually and insist on doing it on maximum hours.

larrye44

Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1, for the clear and easy to understand explanation.

This is why I love this forum.

Larry