Cub Cadet LT1045 Start Problems

vern66

Threads
NOTE: I tried to use a larger Font but 7 appears to be the largest in the choices.
Is there a way to use a larger Font (for we with vision problems)

Reference Cub Cadet LT1045, Model 13RX11CH756, Mfgr date: 06/2007

This Lawn mower runs with no problem with normal operation of the engine while mowing. Idles proper and runs at full throttle with no issues. However, after turning off the engine and let set (not running) for 20 30 minutes (usual break time) then when wanting to start again, it does not start properly either with or without applying the choke.

I have been removing the Carburetor area breather unit giving direct access to the opening to the Carburetor then spraying Carburetor Cleaner (for starter fluid) and the engine will start rather quick but seems to not pick up the gas very quick since I have to continue to give a few "short sprays" to keep engine running (for around 30 to 60 seconds) then it evidently gets a proper supply of fuel (normal gasoline from it's gas tank) and continues to run normal.

I have only limited experience and knowledge regarding the type of Fuel Pump on these Models. It of course is mounted on the Carburetor area which is at a higher level than the Gasoline source which would suggest that it does not depend on "Gravity Flow". The visible in-line unit in the gas line appears to be approximately 1/3 to 1/2 full at all times. Have never seen it full -- either running or off..

As discussed above, the Engine runs with no problems so surely this issue would not be related to lack of oxygen caused by a stopped up vent in the fuel tank cap.

All hoses and clamps appear like new. This unit is several years old but has very limited usage over these years.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue will be appreciated

Threads
When your air filter is off check to see that the choke is closing all the way.... Even a tiny gap can cause it not to work right.....

vern66

Threads
When your air filter is off check to see that the choke is closing all the way.... Even a tiny gap can cause it not to work right.....

Thanks for the reply. I had already checked that before my original post -- and it was OK.
I think the issue may be related to not getting proper gas supply -- perhaps concerning the relay on bottom of the Carburetor-- may possibly be partially stuck.

It has been cool and raining here so haven't checked on this yet. Being cautious since a lot of Flus going around. I don't want to join the Doctor line -- [Grin]....

Pumper54

Threads
vern66, something to try (cause it is free and easy) after your break, try removing the gas cap and then putting it back on. It may not be venting correctly and causing a "vapor lock" situation. If that doesn't work I would look at replacing the fuel filter. Let us know what you find out.

Tom

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I had already checked that before my original post -- and it was OK.
I think the issue may be related to not getting proper gas supply -- perhaps concerning the relay on bottom of the Carburetor-- may possibly be partially stuck.

It has been cool and raining here so haven't checked on this yet. Being cautious since a lot of Flus going around. I don't want to join the Doctor line -- [Grin]....

If the solenoid is stuck and you start the engine with carb cleaner, etc., something has to dislodge the stuck solenoid or the engine would die shortly if it doesn't get unstuck.

But, engines vibrate and maybe this vibration is what unsticks the solenoid?

You can test this by turning the ignition key to 'on,' then lightly tapping the solenoid prior to cranking the engine. If it starts, you've found the problem.

vern66

Threads
If the solenoid is stuck and you start the engine with carb cleaner, etc., something has to dislodge the stuck solenoid or the engine would die shortly if it doesn't get unstuck.

But, engines vibrate and maybe this vibration is what unsticks the solenoid?

You can test this by turning the ignition key to 'on,' then lightly tapping the solenoid prior to cranking the engine. If it starts, you've found the problem.

I have checked that the Fuel Pump is functioning properly for supplying fuel.
The fuel Solenoid (on bottom of Carburetor) evidently is the reason for lack of fuel supply to the Carburetor.
It does not activate to open the gas entry to the carburetor -- when turning on Key.

I removed the Solenoid to test-- and when applying 12 volts through the contact wire (with proper ground contact for the unit) does NOT activate/energize the Solenoid to pull the "plunger" down to open the fuel port.
The "plunger" was stuck and rather difficult to move in and out but finally loosened up but continued to not function properly.

As a test, I pushed the "plunger" all the way down (OPEN) and re-installed the Solenoid. The engine started normally. In fact, I mulched leaves for an hour, turned the engine off, let set for 20 minutes; and then re-started with no issues. So obviously, the opening for gas entry to the carburetor was not stopped by the Solenoid during this test

I don't plan to purchase a new OEM Solenoid due to the excessive cost but it seems the "After Market" units are more affordable. However, each parts diagram I have found only shows the Solenoid as a part of a Carburetor unit and NOT as a separate unit. Therefore, using Google; I have not found a "definite" part number for the Solenoid on my Cub Cadet with 20 HP Kohler Engine.

Of course, I found many MANY different Solenoids but have not been able to distinguish the proper unit for this Engine. Perhaps someone on this Forum may have experience (and resources) to identify the correct part number using the information from this engine which is listed below.

--------------------------------------------
Cub Cadet LT1045 20HP Engine Numbers:
Note: I could not distinguish the proper character (even using a magnifying glass) so I used an * where the character appeared.

Family: 7KHXS - 5972G8
Type: e11*97/68SA * 2002/88*0285*01
Disp (CC): 597
Model: SV600
Spec: SV600-0009
Serial: 3715012943
Build Date: 05-30-2007

--------------------------------------------

Lawn Mower Identifications:
Cub Cadet LT1045 Lawn Mower (1 Cylinder 20 HP)

Model: 13RX11CH756
??? : 621-879
Serial #: 1F137H10222
DOM: June 2007
----------------------------------------------

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do a google search for this.
sv600-0009 solenoid

vern66

Threads
Do a google search for this.
sv600-0009 solenoid

Many Thanks for your reply:

I have already done this search among what seemed like 100 others, however; the response was:
Fuel Solenoid Kit Replace For Carb Kohler 2475722-S 2404120-S CV17-25 CV620-740.

My concern is that I (so far) have no way of knowing if the above indicated numbers refers to the actual part numbers for my engine or carburetor. I need to be sure that it would be a replacement for my Engine as per information in my previous post. So far, I have not found the identification (Part Number) of my original solenoid so to know if a proper replacement part id proper.

These numbers are completely different from the numbers on my Engine ID Tag (as originally listed)

vern66

Threads
I thought you would be able to find it on your own but this is the link with the exact part.
https://www.zoro.com/kohler-engine-...cA8Htb74mQe3KhBohIRoKKPVM-gKEdZcaAp3QEALw_wcB

The part at the link you provided appears "visually" to be the same as my actual original part. However, the identification numbers seem to have no reference to applying to the Engine numbers I included in my post. The confusion seems to be that apparently ALL parts diagrams do not list the Solenoid as a separate item (separate part number) and is listed as part of the Carburetor units.

However, yesterday after my last post I found two different part numbers for a Solenoid that "hopefully" is a replacement unit for my engine. Those numbers are: KH-24-757-45-S and KH-12-757-33 with the last number being visually more like the original than the first. I was going to call Kohler to try to check and verify if these numbers ARE or are NOT the proper part for my engine. Today is a holiday so the call was not productive.

I think I will find an "after market" source and (since the price is nominal) go ahead and order a solenoid for the last number above. The OEM prices for these are rather expensive to the point of being almost like "legal robbery"

Thanks again for your help -- Vern....

Note: I like your Play comments. I am age 86 and still enjoy playing and keeping active.