buying a used scag

451johnny

Threads
im thinking of trading my kakota B 7001 4x4 the only problems with it is I get a puff of smoke only when I start it ...For a not running scag tiger 61" kawasakie 22.0 liquid cool engine the guy says its been laying around for a few years he's not sure if the electric fuel pump needs replacing but said he had the motor running with a squirt gas bottle to the carburetor for as long as he kept squirting ..I got my kabota on a trade and really don't have any use for it as it does not have a deck but all else does functions well..I have a lawn that takes me 3 & 1/2 hour to cut with 48" craftman tractor I use ...does this trade sound right..??? thanks for any information on this matter...johnny

Luffydog

Threads
I would say it might be a relay or wiring issue I haven't seen but only one of those pumps go down.

451johnny

Threads
what do you think that scag is worth ??

Luffydog

Threads
That I can't say but I can say this for sure. If it doesn't run not worth a lot if it doesn't mow not worth a lot either and If it doesn't move not worth much either. Y'all just have to come to an agreement on it not running and not in working order and how much you will give and how much he will take. He will have to agree that if it doesn't run and he doesn't want it then what makes him think you will. I would stand my ground not knowing the machine and not running. Think of the what ifs. What if it won't run. What if hydros are broke what if the gear box locked up. What if electrical is shorted. I just named a few at about close $7,000. So just be aware of it and be firm on what you think it's worth to you that you won't be cheated and also think of a fair amount you won't cheat him as well as of making him mad. Just point out all the issues and he should understand and if not turn and walk prob will find one that's in better shape that runs. Good luck

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Food for thought. Someone in my area actually made sure the engine would not run to hide that the hydro pumps where bad. It happens.

dfbroxy

Threads
How many hours are on the Scag?

451johnny

Threads
That I can't say but I can say this for sure. If it doesn't run not worth a lot if it doesn't mow not worth a lot either and If it doesn't move not worth much either. Y'all just have to come to an agreement on it not running and not in working order and how much you will give and how much he will take. He will have to agree that if it doesn't run and he doesn't want it then what makes him think you will. I would stand my ground not knowing the machine and not running. Think of the what ifs. What if it won't run. What if hydros are broke what if the gear box locked up. What if electrical is shorted. I just named a few at about close $7,000. So just be aware of it and be firm on what you think it's worth to you that you won't be cheated and also think of a fair amount you won't cheat him as well as of making him mad. Just point out all the issues and he should understand and if not turn and walk prob will find one that's in better shape that runs. Good luck

hell of good advise when buying something you're not sure of I've always been very gullible and really not good at making deals so I'll be remembering this..but I have a kabota B7001 4X4 THAT IN FAIRLY good condition that I was thinking of making a trade as I really don't have any use for it as it does not have a cutting deck and I have like 2 1/2 acrea that needs to be cut so I need a mower like the scag ..i'm handy as far as changing a pulley and other thing but not good in engine-electrical or diagnosing problem like the electric fuel pump which the guy said he wasn't sure weather or not it worked and they are very expensive he said he had the engine running using a squirt bottle with gas on it and that the engine continued running as long as he squirted gas down the carburetor ...would that indicate a bad fuel pump..?? just not sure if i'm going to be on the losing end of a deal again ...johnny

451johnny

Threads
Food for thought. Someone in my area actually made sure the engine would not run to hide that the hydro pumps where bad. It happens.

wow that sucks can't live with myself if I were to do something like that..thanks for that infor...johnny