Engine Muffler? Very loud

nova

Threads
About two weeks ago, suddenly my mower (Toro model 20334 -- 3100...) became much louder. Is there a muffler replacement that can be done? It is also running faster as soon as this happened so perhaps something else. Right now -- even with earmuffs, hard to stand the noise.

nova

Threads
Also -- in looking at the parts diagram -- I only see a muffler shield -- what is the part number for the muffler itself and is this something easily replaced?
Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have an eight year old unit with a Briggs & Stratton engine. The muffler is part of the engine and can be found using the engine numbers. I would say you should what is causing the engine to run faster, as this will cause an increase in how loud the unit sounds. I don’t ever remember replacing a muffler on one of these engines.

nova

Threads
Yes -- replacing muffler does not help. And you (Rivets) are correct -- problem seems to be that mower is running at full speed and cannot modify this as is automatically adjusted on this unit. Right underneath muffler is a 593208 Briggs and stratton thermostat for auto choke style engines. Could that be bad or is there some way to adjust the throttle speed on these units?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I highly doubt the the automatic choke is causing the problem. If you feel that the engine is running to fast, then you will have to adjust it to the proper speed. I normally set the speed at 3100 RPMs. I can’t find a manual which shows how to adjust these exact engines, but if you look through this manual, carbs and governors, you will find setups very similar to what you have. Using the info for the different setups you should be able to adjust the speed. Leave the choke system alone, has nothing to do with speed. Come back with specific questions if you need to. Someone will be able to help you out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/view

Threads
About two weeks ago, suddenly my mower (Toro model 20334 -- 3100...) became much louder. Is there a muffler replacement that can be done? It is also running faster as soon as this happened so perhaps something else. Right now -- even with earmuffs, hard to stand the noise.

Don't run that engine anymore......... You gonna throw a rod or something is gonna let loose in your engine .....

I am very familiar with your engine if you have the one I am thinking of........ A 6.75 Briggs is the one I am thinking of...

Those are the ones that came with the auto choke EZ start style....... is it the 126M02 or similiar ?????

Threads
I am thinking that you might have a governor issue......... It might have let loose inside your engine or your linkage got hung up some kind of way...... ?????

If your gov let loose then that's a easy fix...........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

nova

Threads
Yes -- was thinking might be a governor issue as the increased speed happened suddenly as if something came loose -- how can this be checked? I found what is called the governor spring, which seems fine -- not sure what else is needed. Also -- model number of the engine is 128T05-3123-B1 -- unit is about 8 yrs old. Toro mower is automatic choke electric start. When you start now runs a bit rough for about a minute -- then the speed increases to max and is loud.

Threads
Yes -- was thinking might be a governor issue as the increased speed happened suddenly as if something came loose -- how can this be checked? I found what is called the governor spring, which seems fine -- not sure what else is needed. Also -- model number of the engine is 128T05-3123-B1 -- unit is about 8 yrs old. Toro mower is automatic choke electric start. When you start now runs a bit rough for about a minute -- then the speed increases to max and is loud.

Take the cosmetic cover off and the air filter box..... Then you will have access to the throttle on the carb........

Start the engine and if it runs away with you then put your fingers on throttle control at the carb....... See if you can control the speed like that....... You should be able to do that, you have a mechanical gov on that engine compared to a air gov on the small classics........

Like I said earlier it's a easy fix and cheap to .........

Let us know Mon Ami ..........

nova

Threads
Take the cosmetic cover off and the air filter box..... Then you will have access to the throttle on the carb........

Start the engine and if it runs away with you then put your fingers on throttle control at the carb....... See if you can control the speed like that....... You should be able to do that, you have a mechanical gov on that engine compared to a air gov on the small classics........

Like I said earlier it's a easy fix and cheap to .........

Let us know Mon Ami ..........

Looked at gov situation -- sent pictures by gmail to you -- anyway cleaned up around gov and still running very fast -- looks to be inside unfortunately, replacing probably beyond my abilities -- will see if any videos that can help with this.