Engine Muffler? Very loud

nova

Threads
Looked at gov situation -- sent pictures by gmail to you -- anyway cleaned up around gov and still running very fast -- looks to be inside unfortunately, replacing probably beyond my abilities -- will see if any videos that can help with this.

-- and yes you can slow down manually but that is not much help.

Threads
Finally got the email....... Ok here's a parts list......

691997 Governor 16 bux
399781S Seal 4 to 5 bux
692232 Sump gasket 4 bux

You can get these at your local lawn mower repair shop or order from Pro Parts direct.net Call their toll free number and talk to Ed.... Tell em Boudreaux in Louisiana sent you.... They know me there....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

nova

Threads
Take the cosmetic cover off and the air filter box..... Then you will have access to the throttle on the carb........

Start the engine and if it runs away with you then put your fingers on throttle control at the carb....... See if you can control the speed like that....... You should be able to do that, you have a mechanical gov on that engine compared to a air gov on the small classics........

Like I said earlier it's a easy fix and cheap to .........

Let us know Mon Ami ..........

Watched the video and does not look too bad -- will give it a try -- probably in January as pretty much done with the mower for this year. Thanks again -- also for the part numbers as well -- hopefully the weights that you were talking about have not done too much damage.

nova

Threads
Also -- in video -- so governor simply slips off of the cam shaft? What keeps it in place when the new one is put on? I assume it is held in place in that there is nowhere for it to go?

Threads
Also -- in video -- so governor simply slips off of the cam shaft? What keeps it in place when the new one is put on? I assume it is held in place in that there is nowhere for it to go?

As i pointed out in the video the sump / crank cover holds it in place.......... In fact when I put this thing back together I will point that out and show how to put the sump back on...

I am doing a whole series of videos on this project...... about 8 videos all in all..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Edit....... Yes the gov just slips on and off just like in the video .......

Edit Encor'e ......... Before you order any parts take the sump and make sure there is no damage nowhere inside.... The only damage you might have is gonna be the teeth on the cam gear and timing gear on the crankshaft... That gear just slides right off and can be replaced in 2 seconds if that LOL......

The cam is not that pricey and is worth replacing if the teeth are bad...... Inspect the lobes and see if they are good.....also the ACR on the cam... You can get by without the ACR just a lil harder to pull the starting rope.......

nova

Threads
Am about to replace the governor on my toro mower -- Briggs and stratton engine. I have reviewed the video that Boudreaux In Eunice La added and looks straightforward. I purchased the parts you recommended and am ready to give the replacement a try. I did have some questions -- (1) do I need to unhook everything on that is hooked up to the engine and have the engine completely away from the mower body? I would assume so but wanted to check. (2) do I need to do anything on top of the engine -- remove the starter belt assembly, etc?

Threads
for some reason I got the Email this morning..... I have talked on the phone with him and he's got the engine repaired and back together....

Waiting on oil to put in it and fire it up.............

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

nova

Threads
Started today and mower working perfectly. Old governor was clearly broken and replacement well described in video.

Thank you Boudreaux In Eunice La for your help!

nova

Threads
Mower as mentioned running well after governor replacement but is now using oil -- need to add with each mowing. Perhaps I did not put in gaskets properly?
Suggestions?