John Deere X320 or Husqvarna YTH22V46 or ?

Blade Runner

Threads
I will change all the fluids and filters and sparkplugs, before next Spring.....but I had to try it out and mow the yard this evening. I took out the mulching block but kept the mulching blades bolted on. I filled up the tank with 100% gas (no ethanol).

PROS
Reduced mowing time by at least 1/6th (mowed in 2 and 1/2 hours what use to take at least 3 hours). Based on that, we will put approximately 40 hours on mower per year (400 hours per decade). We are in our late 40s, so we should not need another mower until our 70s!?! Haha!

The hydraulic deck button is very handy to raise and lower deck when approaching driveway edge or raised tree roots. The decks highest setting is higher than any other mower I have used. First deck to cut grass smoothly in turns. The steering is effortless. I kept oversteering at first because it was so easy. Forward and reverse pedals are awesome. Lights work well. 22 hp V twin Kaw engine does not bog down in thick clipping piles like the 18.5 Briggs did. Mower runs smooth and quieter than any previous mower.

The cut? ......WOW. Seriously, the lawn is so smooth it looks like a golf putting green. Really. Our lawn has not looked this good since we used a Snapper rear engine rider (single blade). I wish I had a mower like this years ago, but glad we have one now. Next spring will be fun!

CONS
The first couple times it would backfire after turning the key off. The last couple times of turning it off, it stopped backfiring. Wish dash was illuminated for night mowing. Would forget to keep upward pressure on blade engagement button when in reverse. With it turned off and the trans. valve handle pulled out you can freely move the mower, but without hydraulics you can't steer it???

Wish the hood was metal. Do not see a fuel line on/off valve. I will install one so I can run all the gas out of the carburetor (and change fuel filters easier). I also wish I could get a gas cap with a gauge in it like my last tractor had. However, I dont think the design of the tank will allow it?

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Threads
Owner of used $2500 JD X500 finally got back to me and now I know why it took so long. It has 1,019 hours on it (he said he changed oil and filter regularly but never changed trans. fluid and filter!?!). Glad I did not wait on it and got my 62 hour $2400 X360 instead. Speaking of ....

I thoroughly washed the X360 after mowing the lawn. I now strongly believe it did have only 62 hours on it as untouched meter read. What I thought was light wear, was mostly heavy dust. After washing it, all painted surfaces look new. There were only a few very light scratches on plastic hood (I buffed out scratches with scratch remover). However, can't explain rough textured anti-scalp wheels on the "Extra Edge" deck.

I think the engine oil filter was changed after 8 hour break in period and greased. Cant tell if trans. oil and filter were changed after 50 hour break in period but I will change all fluids and filters before next use anyways. I think I can now say that I got one heck of a deal on a nearly new high end riding mower! :cool:

Hope this site is still going strong when I need another mower in 15 to 20 years! LOL! :wink:

NOTE: Found best deal from a used farm equipment business on tractorhouse.com. Private owners on any site, wanted more for mowers even with medium to high hours. If I wanted a mower like this with low or no hours and could not find one or did not have the cash, I would finance it during a lawn mower shops or dealerships winter sale. Good luck!

Last edited: