John Deere X320 or Husqvarna YTH22V46 or ?

Blade Runner

Threads
Durable Engine, Transmission and Deck

Hello everyone!

Its been awhile since my last visit. My used but new to me, $550 Poulan Pro 300EX Briggs 18.5 hp with a 42" deck, has served well these past 7 years mowing 2 acres, 8 months of a year. The Briggs I/C 18.5 engine is still running strong (besides regular maintenance I have only adjusted valve lash twice, to solve hard starts). However, as we started mowing the field around the yard 4 years ago, the deck has taken a beating (might install a new deck). Next year, it will be a field mower only. Therefore, we are searching for another used riding mower for the 2 acre yard only.

We want a mower with a reliable engine and transmission with a durable mowing deck and a gas pedal. We prefer 2 blades 46" decks for less moving parts and shorter deck lenght strength, but would take a 3 blade 48" + lenght deck. Our budget is a maximum of $1,000.

I seek this forums expertise. Help me choose a used mower. Now at the end of this years mowing season, I am searching for a used but reliable riding mower. Here is what I have found so far:

1. John Deere X320 - Kawasaki 22 hp engine with 260 hours on meter with a 54" deck and a Tuff Torq K58 transmission. "Looks" good except for 2 small tears in seat. They are asking $1200. I think I can get it for $900 to $1000. I like the reputation for reliability and durability of this "higher grade" mower, the gas pedal and the low price. My only concerns are the high hour use, 3 blades instead of 2, long fuel line of gas tank behind the seat and I am not familiar with Kawasaki mower engines. I also do not know what is considered below, normal and high hours of use for the X320.

2. Other riding mowers with durable engines, transmissions and decks?

For my $1,000 or less budget, are there any other used riding mowers I should consider? Thanks for your experience and assistance. I look forward to your comments.:smile:

NOTE: I was considering a Husqvarna YTH22V46 with only 29 hours for $800, but I dont wish to take a chance of having the overheating issue of the Tuff Torq K46 trans. As well as, the Intek engine is not as reliable as the I/C nor Vanguard.

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Threads
Performed research on this and other sites. I have filtered many choices down to two (2) mowers I can buy right now. Which one would you choose?

1. John Deere X320 - 260 hours on meter with a 54" deck. "Looks" good except for 2 small tears in seat and hood has some sun fading. Dont know the age yet, but it has the older grill. Owner says he has records of regular maintenance performed. I can get it for $1000. OR

2. John Deere X320 - 358 hours on meter with 48" deck. "Looks" good except for 2 small tears in seat and no sun fading. It is a 2006 model and has same grill as one above. Owner says he has records of regular maintenance performed. I can get it for $950.

I like both. No.1 has less hours but No. 2 looks better. I also do not know which deck has proven to perform better with this mower. I know the 54" deck was a option later. However, Tractor Data.com does not even indicate a 54" deck. I do plan to buy one of them by this weekend. Which one would you buy?

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Number 1
No idea on the life of the Kawasaki engines that are installed although they seem to last a long time.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thank you for your comments. I chose No. 1. I have to rent a trailer to bring it home. Does anyone know the outside total lenght of the JD X320 54" deck?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 48" deck would have put a lot less strain on the engine.
But you are buying a used mower so the first question is "why are they selling it"
Upgrading to a newer mower usually means the old mower was giving me so much grief we had to replace it
Next you look at the yards
100 hours on a lawn that would wear out a mountain goat is 300 hours on a lawn that you could practice putting on.

owner maintained = nothing
Some think that changing the oil & filters is all you need to do.
Washing means nothing as does sun fading.
I once bought a motorcycle with a funny cross paint job on the both sides of the tank which was not exactly the same each side.
It was nothing more than where the summer sun shone through the six square pane window.

Blade Runner

Threads
Yes. I agree. Sometimes people sell a headache. Sometimes they sell a good mower in the off season for less, because they need the cash. Found a very nice 2015 X320 still under warranty and with less than 60 hrs on it for $1950. The owner knows if he would sell it next spring, he can get over $3,000 easily, but he needs cash now. But, I am too cheap to spend that kind of money. haha!.....eh.

Going to inspect it for engine and trans leaks and ask to operate it to see if engine, trans. and blades/deck operate correctly. If he will not let me operate it, no deal.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And don't let the price differential between USA & Oz distort things.
We pay 50% more for ride ons down here in USA $ then convert to Aust $
JD parts are the cheapest original parts because of volume efficiencies.
JD piggy back the lawn & garden division on the agricultural division.
This meansJDmowers are cheaper here comparred to other mowers than they are in the USa.
Also it makes JD parts a lot cheaper.
Original JD belts retail for the same price as I buy OEM after market belts, ditto for pulleys & blades.

Because we get more UV than any country on the planet JD plastic parts take a beating so be careful opening hoods.
When you get the mower home remove the catches that hold the hood down, unless you have a very bumpy yard they are not needed & cause hoods to break.
Hoods are very expensive.

Anything in those series JD's for under $ 2000 is a steal.
Kawasaki parts are very expensive, again it is a logistics thing, too few parts moving through the main warehouse which is in Melbourne

Blade Runner

Threads
Thanks for comments. I was just being funny as sometimes I feel I live in the land of Oz as in the Wizard of Oz. haha!.....eh. Actually, I was born, raised, work and have lived all my life in the center of the U.S.A. These great deals and others, are all in the center of the U.S.A. As soon as I finish the deal, I will be more specific. hehe!

So, with everything eles similar, as to the choice of a X320 with 260 hours and a 54" deck and a X320 with 358 hours but a 48" deck, the lower hours is more important than a 48" deck that stresses the engine less than the 54" deck?

There is an interesting back story to this deal. I will share it after I complete the deal.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
A 6x6 trailer is smallest you could use.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thats what I needed to know. Thanks.