John Deere X320 or Husqvarna YTH22V46 or ?

Blade Runner

Threads
Decided to hold off on the deal for the X320. I really want a serviceable transmission. True, you can use a pump, but you never remove most of the fluid and forget a filter change. You can tap some drain plugs but still no filter change.

So, I am going to search for a used mower with the K71 or higher trans. Maybe a JD GT or GX model. I now understand regular trans fluid and filter change can equate to longer life AND consistent max power to the wheels. Prices should only get lower the closer to Winter. Thanks for comments. I will continue to update this thread.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want a tranny with filters & drain plug then you will have to pay a lot more that you are thinking about, like about $ 3000 minimum.
Servicable trannies were only fitted to high end commercial GARDEN TRACTORS

The Bolens I mentioned before has an Eaton with filter as does the early 2000 & 3000 Cubs but all of those tractors are no longer supported.
If you want to go to ZTR's then all of the Great Danes have servicable trannies and there is a limited support for them.

Blade Runner

Threads
I found a low hour JD GX335 I can get for $1500 and I found a low hour JD GT 245 for $1,250. Both have the K71 trans. Those trans have drain plugs and replaceable filters (at least the GX 335 also has a trans dip stick and reservoir as well). My concern is will I be able to find parts in 5 to 10 years, since they are already 14 to 15 years old in this era of throw away mowers.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
K71 is not in production anymore. It is the K72 now. Found out the K66 has an optional external filter you can purchase.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thanks for info. The JD GX 335 sold before I could buy it. I also decided against the JD X320s.

Also, the backstory to the X320 I almost bought, is a sad one. I was trying to call the owner to let him know I decided against that model, because of the lack of a fully serviceable trans. However, his number had been disconnected. Found out it was a tree arbor/lawn care shop going out of business.

However, I now know what mower I will buy.....the JD X360. It has the K58H trans. Its designed for regular maintenance of fluid and filter changes. It also has a Kaw 22hp engine with a 48" deck combo, that I prefer. Well, I really would prefer a reliable Briggs 24 hp with a 2 blade 46" deck with a serviceable transmission, but thats not going to happen. haha!......eh.

Trying to a make deal right now on several I have found so far.

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Threads
Deals to consider so far include:

1. JD X360 with 62 hours. Looks brand new, but the deck pulley covers are missing. $2400. I like it alot, but agonizing over spending that much. Yet, its the nicest, lowest hour and lowest priced with those low hours I have found so far.....and its within driving distance.

2. JD X360 with 234 hours. Hood is cracked. Some rust underneath. Idles rough. $650. Its 400 miles away. Sales guy said if it was him, he would not make the drive for it! haha!....eh. Shipping would cost as much as mower. Not getting it.

Search continues.

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Threads
Leaning toward buying the JD X360 with 62 hours. But, I also just found a 2014 JD X500 for $2500. Owner is going to send pic of hour meter. ......But whats odd is the X360 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift, but the more expensive X500 does not? But the X500 has a larger engine and better transmission.....and both have the same frame? If it has low hours, I will have a difficult choice to make.

Blade Runner

Threads
Does anyone know how to determine if a 10 year old JD X360 really has only 62 hours?????? About to buy it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only way is to trust that they did not bypass or replace the hour meter.

Blade Runner

Threads
Yesterday, I drove over two hours to a used farm equipment shop to inspect and possibly buy the 2009 JD X360 with 62 hours.

Back story
A shop worker that had brought the mower to the shop from the owner, told me it was owned by a wealthy local. The owner had a lawn service mow his estate, but owned several high end mowers including the JD and a high end Kubota mower. I saw the Kubota and it looked brand new. The owner was moving and sold all his lawn equipment to the shop. Supposedly, the owner liked to play with these mowers. He was supposedly the same way with cars.

Inspection
First, I checked the hour meter component. Underneath, everything was very dusty and had mega spiderwebs. The hour meter and plug in cable seemed just as dusty as everything eles. That was good. At least the owner nor the shop had changed it nor unplugged it recently. Then I inspected the entire mower. It looked brand new underneath with very little wear. There were spiderwebs everywhere and very dusty. Every thing looked new including the plastic hood and frame paint. The seat is known to crack after about a year or two of regular use. It was not cracked. The engine oil looked new and I could tell the oil filter had been changed. The gas in tank did not smell bad.

Only concerns, include the tire "hairs"
were mostly gone (10 year old tires?) and the anti scalp wheels had a rough surface like he drove it over a hard surface. Although all the surfaces looked new, the steering wheel center cap looked faded.

Startup
It started right up but would not stay running and gas was leaking from carb. A shop worker said it had sat for at least a year. We all concluded the gas was old and "varnished" the carburetor. The shop drained the gas tank and removed the carb. and cleaned it and soaked it in varnish remover for about an hour. I request only 100% gas (no ethanol) be put back in tank.

Test Drive
It started up and continued to run. I had never operated a mower like this. I operated it from 62.4 hours to 62.8 hours in their lot. It ran smooth and very quiet. Everything worked well. I got a kick out of the hydraulic deck lift and the pedals. It was like a slow go cart with a mower. LOL! Infact, if I knew a mower could be so fun, I would have had a version of this type of mower, years ago.

Did I buy it?
I bought it. Tax included, I paid $2400. Over double my original $1,000 budget. But, it was the lowest hour mower of this type with these features at that low of a price, I could find within driving distance (actually it was the best deal I could find in the U.S., using craigslist.com, searchtempest.com, tractorhouse.com, fastline.com, equipmentfinder.com, machinerypete.com, ebay.com and checking JD dealership inventories). Tractordata.com is our reference friend.

Besides the low hours, and the tilt wheel, power steering, push button hydraulic deck lift, brake/forward/reverse pedals, cruise control, and push button blade engagement, I really like the fact that the K58H transmission is designed to change the fluid and filter (a regular K58 trans. is not designed to change fluid and filter). The fact that the X360 is built on the same heavy duty frame as the X500 series is an added bonus.

We found the deck pulley covers in the shop. It also came with a mulching blade kit, but no manual. No brush guard (too close to house guard). Going to download the manual and buy a brush guard.

We have one or two more mowings for the season. Got to prep it. Now for the first time on a riding mower, I get to change the air filter, fuel filter, engine oil and engine oil filter AND the transmission fluid AND transmission filter! Love it!

Last edited: