Troy-Bilt tight transmission belt

Threads
My Model Troy-Bilt 34044 Wide-cut (33") Mower (SN 340440208823 Lot#12
Date NUJO) Lawnmower moves as soon as it is put in gear. It doesn't need the dead man's grip engaged. Apparently the new belt is too tight. What can I do?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the deck there should be a different model number for your unit. 34044 is not a good model number. Is this your model number? 12AE76M8011

Threads
Rivets, 34044 is a valid Troy-bilt model. It is a walk-behind model, there is no seat. Thanks though.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Troy-Bilt section.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a manual which might help you out, but it is the manual for the number I posted. Sounds to me like you have either the wrong belt or have not installed and routed it properly. The model number you posted is neither a TroyBilt or MTD number, so getting you the correct part number for the belt is going to be difficult.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/manuals/769-12162a.pdf

Threads
Rivets, the model number is correct. It is an earlier model than the one you sent me a manual for. Here is a parts list for the 34044: https://www.partstree.com/parts/tro...e-cut-walk-behind-mower-sn-01/drive-assembly/ I have verified that the belt is the correct part number: Troy-Bilt 1764942, BELT 1/2 X 52" I would be very interested to know the correct routing. I did not install the belt myself but I am told it is a new belt and it does appear that way. New belts do stretch some but I do think that this is too tight because it makes the mower travel as soon as it is placed in gear. I'm wondering how to look under the mower and work on it without spilling oil and gas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Finally found info on your model, was made before TroyBilt became part of MTD in 2001. That was the reason it would not come up in my MTD master parts gallery. Sorry. I am unable to find a belt routing diagram for that model, but I’m quite sure it will be the same as in the manual I posted. Good belts don’t really stretch, but the V-portion of the belt will wear, making the inside diameter seem bigger.

Threads
I removed the spark plug wire and pulled the front deck cover this afternoon (4 bolts - 1/2" or 13 mm socket or wrench) and looked at the transmission drive belt and pulley system carefully.
There are 4 pulleys:
  • Drive pulley - V-groove - attached to the crank shaft
  • Driven pulley - Flat - attached to the gear box input shaft
  • Fixed idler pulley - Flat
  • Swing idler pulley (tensioner activated by lower right-hand grip) - Flat
The V-belt was installed flipped - The tapered side was contacting all the flat pulleys and the flat side was part way down in the V-groove drive pulley.
To correct the very tight belt I had to:
  1. loosen the mounting bolt of the swing idler pulley (because it is most accessible - 9/16" wrench or socket)
  2. take the belt off all the pulleys by pulling/pushing it down, but not remove it from under the deck
  3. slip the belt out between a wire post and the fixed idler pulley
  4. twist the belt and feed it around until all of the belt was flipped over. This required careful looking from behind the mower as well as the front.
  5. slip the belt on all the pulleys in this order
    • Driven pulley
    • Drive pulley
    • Fixed idler pulley (slipping the belt between the metal post and the pulley)
    • Swing idler pulley
  6. Check carefully all around to make sure that the belt is contacting each pulley correctly
  7. tighten the swing idler pulley: put a large flat screw driver between the deck and the swing arm as the captivated nut tends to pop up and turn when the bolt head is turned.
  8. I'll test it tomorrow, adjust the tension of the transmission drive belt according to the manual and then put the front deck cover on.