Grasshopper 223 hydro belt noise.

wdfulbright

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a used 223 a month ago. When I got it I didn't notice the belt driving the hydros making noise and jumping until the mule drive belt broke. Its like one of the hydro motors is pulling really hard. I guess my question is, is it normal for the belt to jump so much?

MowLife

Threads
If it’s a horizontal engine with pto at back it Will bounce a little due to the belt configuration. Normally full rpms will minimize it. But if it looks excessive then you may have some worn parts like idler arm or pulley etc.

Threads
There is two idler pulleys on that set up that might be bad. Actually the pulley under the crankshaft pulley is a idler and the pulley to the left side of the crankshaft pulley is a tensioner pulley. Either could be bad. They are the same pulley as Grasshopper loves to simplify things! Also there are three bushings in the tensioner arm that could be worn out and hanging up. Here are the part numbers for everything and hopefully I can upload a schematic of the drive belt system. I will put prices with the part numbers just so you can estimate how much for those items.

Part name, number on the picture, Grasshopper part number, prices
Idler pulley, 11, 393195, $18.55 each
Pedestal Bearing, 5, 121651, $4.70
Oilite bearing, 38, 121756, $0.65 each (need 2)

IMG_1651.jpg

MowLife

Threads
Nice prices....wish my scag parts were priced like that.

MowLife

Threads
If they only had walk behinds. I mow some crazy sloped properties that I would be afraid sitting on a mower.

Threads
If they only had walk behinds. I mow some crazy sloped properties that I would be afraid sitting on a mower.

Yes. I wish they did as well. we have customers ask about them all the time. I've heard through the grape vine, they have something put their sleeve in that regard. Still waiting though.