Hustler 123349 Discharge Chute Adapter kit

va duc

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the form and enjoying it so far. I was curious as to how this part mounts to the deck? Has anyone done this conversion? I would like to hear some input please and thank you.

s-l1600.jpg

mhavanti

Threads
Vaduc,

If you haven't already cut the enforcement bar. Don't! Cut the enforcement bar a little more than half from the top, slightly below the top of the blades. I cut mine down to .125 (1/8th") below the blade top which is about the bottom of the blade actually. That affords a great deal more safety for the operator and more importantly anyone else that may very well walk up behind you as you turn to the right with your deck discharge chute open.

That over the top enforcement bar does not provide the safety you have gone to the trouble to remove. After speaking to a lawyer about removing the entire enforcement bar with the grass catcher scallop cut into the top of the deck. The owner of the mower is culpable and liable for any and all damages to person and property incurred from blade tips that are exposed approximately 4 inches.

At 18900 SPM that would remove a foot in less than a thousandth of a second. Again, if you haven't removed that bar, don't. Cut it down instead because grass doesn't get caught by the bar when the bar is below the grass discharge. Remember, regardless whatever you choose to do you are responsible for the end results if you harm yourself or others.

Here is how I did mine to prove or disprove the open deck modification. This modification was where I stopped as I proved that entirely removing the bar is not at all necessary.

Safety is our first thought for you and all our other forum friends.

Good luck,

Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350s

DK35vince

Threads
Vaduc,

If you haven't already cut the enforcement bar. Don't! Cut the enforcement bar a little more than half from the top, slightly below the top of the blades. I cut mine down to .125 (1/8th") below the blade top which is about the bottom of the blade actually. That affords a great deal more safety for the operator and more importantly anyone else that may very well walk up behind you as you turn to the right with your deck discharge chute open.

That over the top enforcement bar does not provide the safety you have gone to the trouble to remove. After speaking to a lawyer about removing the entire enforcement bar with the grass catcher scallop cut into the top of the deck. The owner of the mower is culpable and liable for any and all damages to person and property incurred from blade tips that are exposed approximately 4 inches.

At 18900 SPM that would remove a foot in less than a thousandth of a second. Again, if you haven't removed that bar, don't. Cut it down instead because grass doesn't get caught by the bar when the bar is below the grass discharge. Remember, regardless whatever you choose to do you are responsible for the end results if you harm yourself or others.

Here is how I did mine to prove or disprove the open deck modification. This modification was where I stopped as I proved that entirely removing the bar is not at all necessary.

Safety is our first thought for you and all our other forum friends.

Good luck,

Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350s
I betting that bar is there as a deck support only, not to keep your foot out.
Neither my previous FasTrak or current Super Z have that bar

mhavanti

Threads
DK,

Neither of your current mowers also have the deck scallop that will allow your leg go into that blade contact. Run outside, take a look at those decks. Both are straight front to back with the blade tip back of the deck opening a ways. Yes, you can stick a foot into the blade tip, however, you're not likely to place the leg above the foot and as high as above the ankle into the blade.

The Raptor deck has a large 4 inch deep cut into the top of the deck for the grass catcher attachment. Remove the bar, leave the discharge chute open and you could possibly place the leg into that 4 inch deep deck cut. The foot is usually attached to the leg, lol. That isn't about to happen on the 2019 Raptor according to Ken Coker, Regional Sales rep for Hustler Turf Machines as they adopted my deck scallop block off design which brings the deck design into the Fastrak and up price point mowers such as yours.

Hope that made it a bit more clear.

Max

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I think Hustler should offer the rear discharge option on the Raptor and Raptor SD. It really works well for me on the Fastrak. No discharge chute to deal with, trimming on either side.

mhavanti

Threads
John,

I think so as well. The Fastrak across the street does nicely as well as the Super Z also across the street. There are only two Raptors on a block full of Hustlers. There are two Cub Cadets, however, they aren't in the same playing field as far as I can tell. We have Super Z's, X-Ones, Fastraks, Raptors and an old Sport. Not one of them leaves a sprig of grass during dry or wet cutting.

Have to admit, I'm the only one that cuts as fast as the Raptor will go. However, that isn't all that fast. All of them move slower than my old MTD Yardman All Wheel Steer. I always want to run over and hook a strap to those other folk's mowers and help them get up to speed. Point is, they all do well with side and rear.

Do like how the rear helps keep the clippings controlled as far as where they go.

I may have to run up to the top left corner of the state to see your little city and check out your mower as well.

Max

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Max, the rear discharge does not clump as the side discharge mowers do. If I cut a normal amount, the clippings are not even noticeable, and get pushed back and down into the cut grass. If I wait a little too long to mow, the clippings are left behind in a wide band, almost as wide as the inside wheel width, but no clumps to speak of. I think I may be done with lawn mowing for this year. I usually let it go come late October. My ground is too uneven to mow as fast as the mower will run.

mhavanti

Threads
John,

Thanks for the intel on the rear discharge. I think mine is done for the winter as well.

Since a water heater decided to drop it's bottom out in one of my houses, I have plenty to do for a while. Not only the water heater, roof decided to give up the ghost as well. Now I'm roofing that house. All in all, going to be busy.

Enjoy the long winter! lol

Max

clubairth

Threads
I got the factory kit and followed the install directions.

Here is what it looks like installed.

Discharge Chute-Cover-small.jpg

Discharge Chute-Cover Open-small.jpg

mhavanti

Threads
Danger Will Robinson, Danger! lol

Unless you are going to be using a grass catcher all the time, I'd get a block off plate over that scallop in the event you have the discharge chute deflector in the up position while blades are engaged.

Danger Will Robinson!