1992 Craftsman 36" 917.256820

Blaine B.

Threads
I picked up this clean 1992 Craftsman 36" Model 917.256820 with 12 HP Tecumseh motor yesterday for $200. This is my first riding mower, but probably not my last - I have heard that riding mowers tend to spoil homeowners from never wanting to go back to using a regular mower as their primary tool. I thought that this mower would be a great entry, albeit the age, for $200 I couldn't pass it up. I am finding riding mowers that are 14-15 years old are still selling for $500-$600 around here on the used market!

Today I spend the day cleaning it up, although it was very clean as it was. I wanted to clean the deck out just to make sure that there was no contamination with weed seeds from the previous owner's lawn, as I saw he had quite a bit of some creeping weed in his lawn.

I also went ahead and ordered two new Oregon Gator blades for this mower as well.

I was curious if anyone had any insight on where I could obtain an online user manual for this mower. And if anyone knew if this mower ever came with a mulch plug instead of the side discharge?

I am also not seeing a drain plug on the Spicer transaxle. From my research it seems as if this axle probably just has grease inside that cannot be serviced without complete disassembly of the case halves.

Also, I am curious about proper deck leveling, which I definitely want to accomplish. I was messing around with the brackets and they seem a bit wonky, not lining up quite right on both sides and the brackets not hanging perfectly. Not sure what's going on, or what it is supposed to look like, or how it was mounted from the factory.

Other than that, everything does work. The motor leaks a little bit of oil, looks to be from the oil pan gasket, but runs very smoothly otherwise! The owner was very up front and honest. Told me sometimes he had difficulty getting it in to gear, although I was not able to replicate that issue any time yesterday or today. The Transaxle feels great and all of the gears are smooth! 4 forward, 1 reverse.

20181027_175409.jpg20181027_175426.jpg20181027_122244.jpg20181027_122250.jpg20181027_122257.jpg20181027_122302.jpg20181027_122307.jpg20181027_122313.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
917 codes out as an AYP made mower.
You might find an owners or pars manual herehttps://mymowerparts.com/about_us.php in the Husqvarna section.
In the Tecumseh section you will find the engine manual.
The Tranny will be covered by a Spicer manual which might still be up on the spicer or dana web sites but AFAIK they tossed all the mower stuff off a long while back when they got out of mower trannies .
Got to parts sites like Jacks or partstree and type in your tranny number or spicer & number ( off tag ) some sites will still have the parts breakdown for them.
And yes a grease filled manual tranny will not have a drain plug but 20 years on the greae will have hardened so should be replaced if you are intending keeping & using the mower.

Blaine B.

Threads
917 codes out as an AYP made mower.
You might find an owners or pars manual herehttps://mymowerparts.com/about_us.php in the Husqvarna section.
In the Tecumseh section you will find the engine manual.
The Tranny will be covered by a Spicer manual which might still be up on the spicer or dana web sites but AFAIK they tossed all the mower stuff off a long while back when they got out of mower trannies .
Got to parts sites like Jacks or partstree and type in your tranny number or spicer & number ( off tag ) some sites will still have the parts breakdown for them.
And yes a grease filled manual tranny will not have a drain plug but 20 years on the greae will have hardened so should be replaced if you are intending keeping & using the mower.

There are hundreds of .pdf documents listed for Husqvarna...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Blaine B.

Threads
Tried to find your manuals, NO success ..... but I did find your transaxle parts list, go to the site in the link and scroll down to your #4360-15 transaxle .... it's in there, sorry I could not help more, Best of luck, it's a good looking machine

https://www.m-and-d.com/dana_foote_parts.html

Also this site for your Tecumseh Eng. might be helpful...

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/tecumseh/manuals.html

Thank you. I believe the engine is "similar" to the 9 hp Tecumseh on my 2007 Ariens 926LE snow thrower.

Blaine B.

Threads
Is there anyone on this forum that owns an older Craftsman machine like this one?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I picked up this clean 1992 Craftsman 36" Model 917.256820 with 12 HP Tecumseh motor yesterday for $200. This is my first riding mower, but probably not my last - I have heard that riding mowers tend to spoil homeowners from never wanting to go back to using a regular mower as their primary tool. I thought that this mower would be a great entry, albeit the age, for $200 I couldn't pass it up. I am finding riding mowers that are 14-15 years old are still selling for $500-$600 around here on the used market!

Today I spend the day cleaning it up, although it was very clean as it was. I wanted to clean the deck out just to make sure that there was no contamination with weed seeds from the previous owner's lawn, as I saw he had quite a bit of some creeping weed in his lawn.

I also went ahead and ordered two new Oregon Gator blades for this mower as well.

I was curious if anyone had any insight on where I could obtain an online user manual for this mower. And if anyone knew if this mower ever came with a mulch plug instead of the side discharge?

No it never did.

I am also not seeing a drain plug on the Spicer transaxle. From my research it seems as if this axle probably just has grease inside that cannot be serviced without complete disassembly of the case halves.

Yes you have to open it up to change the grease.

Also, I am curious about proper deck leveling, which I definitely want to accomplish. I was messing around with the brackets and they seem a bit wonky, not lining up quite right on both sides and the brackets not hanging perfectly. Not sure what's going on, or what it is supposed to look like, or how it was mounted from the factory.

You measure to the blade tips. Front to back then side to side. You do not level the deck you level the blades. The deck is not flat on the bottom. It must be leveled by the blades.

Other than that, everything does work. The motor leaks a little bit of oil, looks to be from the oil pan gasket, but runs very smoothly otherwise! The owner was very up front and honest. Told me sometimes he had difficulty getting it in to gear, although I was not able to replicate that issue any time yesterday or today. The Transaxle feels great and all of the gears are smooth! 4 forward, 1 reverse.

Your mower should require to be at a complete stop to change gears. If you were doing that then that is why you had no problem changing gears.

View attachment 41228View attachment 41229View attachment 41230View attachment 41231View attachment 41232View attachment 41233View attachment 41234View attachment 41235

Answers above in your quote.

Blaine B.

Threads
Do you own a similar mower, and if so, can you take a picture of the brackets that attach the deck to the height adjustment system? Also, does this deck look like it would have been original to the mower?

The reason I ask is that there is misalignment between the brackets on the deck and the brackets on the height adjustment system. The adjustable links between the two cannot both be situated on the inside, or the outside, of the brackets. One must be one way, and the other must be the other way. Even so, there is still misalignment, and I do not feel as if the deck is centered on the frame. Something is a bit wonky, but the brackets are not bent, either.

Thank you for your insight on some of my other questions. Now if I could only find the owner's manual...