1992 Craftsman 36" 917.256820

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you own a similar mower, and if so, can you take a picture of the brackets that attach the deck to the height adjustment system? Also, does this deck look like it would have been original to the mower?

The reason I ask is that there is misalignment between the brackets on the deck and the brackets on the height adjustment system. The adjustable links between the two cannot both be situated on the inside, or the outside, of the brackets. One must be one way, and the other must be the other way. Even so, there is still misalignment, and I do not feel as if the deck is centered on the frame. Something is a bit wonky, but the brackets are not bent, either.

Thank you for your insight on some of my other questions. Now if I could only find the owner's manual...

Might help if you posted some pics of these brackets on the deck ......

Blaine B.

Threads
I'll see if I can get to it sometime this week. Thanks!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Blaine B.

Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q3_WgysWQk&t=1339s

I recorded a video yesterday. You're more than welcome to watch the entire thing, but if you want to skip to 22:00 minutes, I show the deck brackets and describe what's going on.

Is the deck supposed to be at an angle? The left side of the deck is definitely a lot more forward than the right side. It has a rearward, diagonal slant from the left to the right. Thanks again.

Blaine B.

Threads
Did you look through these manuals ..???

SEE pages 22 & 23 in this manual it may be close to yours ...

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pa...l?sid=aff:shareasale&ref=sas&sscid=a1k2_t7a18

you have to download it to see it ........ see the little RED pdf symbol ..

Yes, that particular deck seems to be slightly different, yet similar at the same time.

I'm not sure, perhaps this deck isn't original either.

From the drawings it appears that the deck should be straight across from left to right rather than diagonal. Is this assumption based on the manual's drawings correct?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what to say about that, the decks on my Murrays sit a bit diagonal, my 46 in. more so than my 42 incher, I guess it's just the design for the mounting brackets, I doubt your deck was changed, but its possible it may have been a larger deck, check all your brackets for being bent, my brackets were bent to hell from previous owner hitting the ground, and other things on the lawn, straightened a few and replaced a few, I would cut a section of lawn and then check the heights starting at full up, working on dropping down a little at a time ... and check through ALL those manuals I sent, you may find more info...

Blaine B.

Threads
I don't know what to say about that, the decks on my Murrays sit a bit diagonal, my 46 in. more so than my 42 incher, I guess it's just the design for the mounting brackets, I doubt your deck was changed, but its possible it may have been a larger deck, check all your brackets for being bent, my brackets were bent to hell from previous owner hitting the ground, and other things on the lawn, straightened a few and replaced a few, I would cut a section of lawn and then check the heights starting at full up, working on dropping down a little at a time ... and check through ALL those manuals I sent, you may find more info...

When my new blades come in, I'll drop the deck entirely and have a look at everything under there. Did you see my video?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
When my new blades come in, I'll drop the deck entirely and have a look at everything under there. Did you see my video?

I did see it, but it's hard to see much of value probably better pics of the deck and the "hangers" on the mower frame when you drop the deck ..BE SURE TO TAKE MANY, MANY, PICS of your disassembly .. they will be valuable later as you reassemble !!