07 FasTrak throwing deck belt

boss351

Threads
Ok decided to show some pics of what I have found so far..interesting thing that I found is that the plastic/teflon slides don't appear to be original in design. I wonder if it was for something else and possibly modified. I am not the original owner of this unit and I've had it 4 years now. Anyway the replacement slides appear to be what is shown in the factory diagram..the pulley shots show the deck idler fixed pulley and the idler puller next to the PTO under the engine...

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 9

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For starters both of the idlers are shot and should have been replaced a long while ago.
With ZTRs I replace all plastic idlers with every belt replacement.
They are a lot cheaper than a belt.
Also by looking at them you can work out if there is a problem.
The pulley that is worn right at the edge needs the spacer modified to bring the belt closer to the center.
The other pulley looks like it is running against the inside of the belt in which case it should be a V idler and not a flat idler or it is set up on the wrong side of the belt.

boss351

Threads
Berts have you ever seen slides like these?? The pulley that is worn flat in the middle has the belt running on the flat side and appears to be just worn..the other smaller pulley with the wear on the edge does indeed need some kind of adjustment to the spacer. Thanks for the info!

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Either the factory quit using plastic pulleys since '07, or the original owner put them on. All the pulleys on my new Fastrak are steel.

boss351

Threads
'The originals were plastic and the replacements are plastic also...what year and model do you have there??? Oh never mind...you said new. I would hope they use steel now, especially considering the costs of these new units..

mhavanti

Threads
boss351,

Surely you could find some universal metal pulleys at a dealership that carries Stens and other brand parts on hand.

Take the pulleys with you and match them up.

Max

boss351

Threads
Next time I have to change pulleys I might do just that. No point in doing it now though. Waiting on parts for the pullbars in the front of the deck..

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Plastic idler pulleys run cooler than metal ones. I would run plastic any day over metal.

boss351

Threads
OK got the new pullbar and pullbar pin installed on the deck and the deck moves up and down evenly now..Also put a plastic pulley on the idle slide where there was a metal one. The plastic one is wider than the metal one giving the belt more area to travel along its axis. Cranked it up and cycled the PTO 6 times with no problems. Grass too wet to cut so cannot give it a real life test at this time. Lets hope this takes care of this problem!!!!