07 FasTrak throwing deck belt

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Never grease that type of plastic. It is self lubricating. Grease or oil on it will retain grit and accelerate wear.

boss351

Threads
Could be what happened here..the original owner told me to do that so I did....so he must have done it too!!! Thanks a bunch guys and I will keep ya'll posted!

mhavanti

Threads
If the spindles are not free, in other words the bearings are beginning to drag due to wear, this can also cause belts to come off and eventually burn belts. Will prematurely wear your pulleys also.

boss351

Threads
OK guys, major disappointing day regarding this issue..Went to the local Hustler dealer, got the two plastic slides and a new idler pulley which is next to the PTO. The replacement slides appear different from what was on it originally. They said it has gone through a few redesigns since 2007. Got home and removed the deck to to the installation. Everything went well with the exception of having to cut off two bolts that held the old slides in. Also of note was the right front pullbar ( the wishbone strut on the front of the deck with the swivel ball attachment on the end) was frozen solid and not allowing the deck to move up or down. The left one moves fine. Put everything back together and the damn thing is still throwing the belt. Could that frozen bar be causing the deck to be on an angle and could that be my problem??? I'm almost at the point of bringing it in....

mhavanti

Threads
Yes Sir! Make sure it is moving freely so that the deck pulleys and clutch pulleys are maintaining alignment.

Good luck,

Max

John Fitzgerald

Threads
It's important to keep everything clean and properly lubricated, so nothing binds and causes problems. Such maintenance is doubly important before storage for an extended period, as in winter. I would spray some lube on that frozen part, then try to work it a bit to free it up. The deck may be tilted relative to the PTO pulley.

boss351

Threads
Looked at the diagram last night..it seems that the pullbar pin is stuck inside the pullbar. I'll have to remove the deck again to try to get the thing unstuck somehow. Worst case scenario is I'd have to cut it off and get another pin and pullbar. To be continued!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts are remarkably tolerant of pulleys being out of alignment, on the same plane ( parallel to each other ) however the smallest twist can throw belts in an instant

rick kinney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys hope ya'll can help. I have a 2007 Fastrak and has recently been throwing the deck belt when engaging the solenoid/clutch. I re-install the belt and set the spring to the correct length and might be able to disengage and engage 3 times before it does it again. I noticed the deck idler pulley was alittle worn in the groove and slighty loose on the pedestal. I just today got a new idler pulley and new belt and installed them. Engaged and disengaged 3 times and tried another time and the damn thing threw the belt again..Any ideas/suggestions as to why this is happening?? Blades appear to spin evenly under the deck. Can the idler under the engine (Kohler 17) be a problem?? Thanks in advance.

Make sure all the deck pulleys have the edges on them. my pulleys wore off the bottom edge of the pulley and the belt would come off. The pulleys bearings seem to wear out quickly so take off the belt and make sure all the pulleys spin freely.