Kohler instead of original Kawsakie motor?

451johnny

Threads
I have a chance to buy a Scag 48" zero turn mower with a blown Kawasakie 23HP motor. And I just happen to have a 22HP Kohler motor that came off a zero turn mower .Can it be installed on the Scag ? and what problems and expenses will I encounter in trying to do so...thanks in advance for any help. Johnny

Padroo

Threads
First thing I would look at is mounting bolt pattern and then crankshaft diameter and length. If they are the same the only other thing I could think of is something about it's physical shape. If you know the model number of the Kawasaki you can get all the information you need. Was the Kohler an optioal engine for the mower?

Luffydog

Threads
The wiring harness is a major thing as well. Should mount right in no issues. The crank will play a big role as well as already been posted. The other will be the clutch if the crank is the same dia. The correct scag harness some close to $400 or better and the about the same as for the clutch.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Besides the wiring harness you have to look at the muffler. Redoing wiring is a lot easier than trying to figure out how to mount the muffler.

451johnny

Threads
First thing I would look at is mounting bolt pattern and then crankshaft diameter and length. If they are the same the only other thing I could think of is something about it's physical shape. If you know the model number of the Kawasaki you can get all the information you need. Was the Kohler an optioal engine for the mower?

The Scag mower I was thinking of getting is on craigslist so I won't be able to see if the bolt holes will line up or if the crankshaft is the right size and I just found out that the Kohler motor I have didn't come off a zero turn but from a Craftman garden tractor and before I got your reply I found out I could make it work but but will probably be costly and so I decided not to buy it. so thanks for your advise really apricated it..johnny

451johnny

Threads
Besides the wiring harness you have to look at the muffler. Redoing wiring is a lot easier than trying to figure out how to mount the muffler.

yeah I think trying to mount the kohler is going to be to much of a job and costly for me.so i'm deciding not to purchase the scag..anyway I want to thank you for your advise and help...johnny

451johnny

Threads
The wiring harness is a major thing as well. Should mount right in no issues. The crank will play a big role as well as already been posted. The other will be the clutch if the crank is the same dia. The correct scag harness some close to $400 or better and the about the same as for the clutch.

yeah I was thinking trying to replace the kawasakie with the kohler was going to be a piece of cake but hearing from you guys I know now that's not going to happen ..thanks for all your help...johnny

Luffydog

Threads
Most all scags and most all equipment come with just about all the holes to put on different engines. The difference would be in the dia. Of the crank but depending on what your other engine came out of. You might also see a difference In the drive pulley. I haven't had to much problems with mufflers just a couple and that was because it was for a different type of mower and not a scag part just like the oil drain plug is also a scag part not a engine part as in all mowers.

Luffydog

Threads
Also would like to add if the over all machine is good and low in hours might be best to just repower the unit with the new engine prob would be the best cheapest route to go with warranty on the repower engine.

451johnny

Threads
Most all scags and most all equipment come with just about all the holes to put on different engines. The difference would be in the dia. Of the crank but depending on what your other engine came out of. You might also see a difference In the drive pulley. I haven't had to much problems with mufflers just a couple and that was because it was for a different type of mower and not a scag part just like the oil drain plug is also a scag part not a engine part as in all mowers.

well you're the first to actually give me some positive feedback I like the idea that the scag will probably have the extra bolt holes that might line up with my kohler and I have a welder so i'm sure I can refigure the muffler if I have to.what can you tell me about the wiring harness ??