snapper push

jarnhold

Threads
I hope someone can help, I dont have a lot of info but I am trying to identify a snapper push mower that is missing model and serial, steel deck, 21", but has a 5hp honda, mower is older but did snapper put these engines on a certain mode?l any way to identify? also what kind of oil goes in the trans
Thankyou

MowLife

Threads
Hard to guess model without some pics or something. Honda if a very popular motor for snappers. As far as your gearbox I’m pretty sure you have to use their special Snapper “00” lubricant.

upupandaway

Threads
"use their special Snapper “00” lubricant" If it is pricy, forget that!! I just used the gear oil i had leftover from changing my truck differential on my snapper.
Unless you can get your mower up to 90MPH mowing, then Im sure any lubrication is fine.

MowLife

Threads
“00” is thicker than your average differential oil. I wouldnt try an go cheap here. A few dollar more for the right stuff is worth it.

gvanek

Threads
That "00" lube is proven to harden up over time. I use good 'ol 90 wt. As mentioned above, it's good enough for my driver.

MowLife

Threads
I am just giving the op the correct answer. A lighter oil will probably work but if you don’t have tight seals it can leak out. I’ve seen people use 30w for bar/chain oil....they swear oil is oil. Oil velocity is important in my opinion.

gvanek

Threads
Understood...I've seen this stuff thick as mud, almost hardened, in the chain cases/differentials of Snappers. Couldn't see how it offered any lubrication.

But, to each his own. All good!

jarnhold

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I think my snapper dealer will know the model. Years ago I went to Homelite training, back when they made a good product anyway bar oil isnt just plain old oil and I figured oil is oil well bar oil is sticky, put some on your fingers press them together and it is stringy sort of sticky, made this way to travel with the chain as it goes around the bar plain oil just flies off the end of the bar, interesting said it because it was mentioned no real content for the problem just a tidbit

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I think my snapper dealer will know the model. Years ago I went to Homelite training, back when they made a good product anyway bar oil isnt just plain old oil and I figured oil is oil well bar oil is sticky, put some on your fingers press them together and it is stringy sort of sticky, made this way to travel with the chain as it goes around the bar plain oil just flies off the end of the bar, interesting said it because it was mentioned no real content for the problem just a tidbit

Yes you are correct on the bar oil.......... I am a Homie Junkie myself, my biz partner was a Homelite dealer for years.....

We have a lot of different saws in our arsenal over here....... over 100 saws in fact, not all run and a lot of them are for parts.... People just don't know how to add oil to gas........for some reason..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

wingless

Threads
The lubricant used in my 30+ year old Snapper has always been their Snapper "00" grease.

The lubrication has never hardened in my severe conditions. It always pumped normally when inspected through the fill port and requires periodic replenishment due to slight weeping out the shaft holes.